Please sign in to post.

Sorrento or Amalfi

My husband and I want to go to the Amalfi Coast in spring 2025 for 10 days or so. We stayed in Ravello 5 years ago and took a bus that dropped us off in Amalfi then took a ferry to Positano, so we know Amalfi is a hub for boats, buses, and ferries, and we would likely stay in town. It would be easier for us to get a ferry to Capri and perhaps also return to Positano and even Ravello as well, but I'm concerned it might be rather hectic to stay in Amalfi.

We stopped overnight in Sorrento many years ago on our honeymoon, but left the next morning to continue on to Taormina. It did look beautiful, though, despite only seeing a small slice of it from the taxi. Since we've no experience there, I'm checking out hotels and will have to make a decision between Sorrento and Amalfi as our base. I'd be very grateful for any advice you have to offer.

We've been fortunate to have gone to Europe every two years for awhile now, but I was born with wanderlust, and I have to start planning again once we return, hoping we can pull off another dream trip!

Posted by
11367 posts

We prefer Sorrento to the over crowded Amalfi Coast. It is large enough to offer a broad variety of dining and hotels. The shops are not all featuring very high end designer goods like on the AC. I have no desire to ever return to the Amalfi Coast.

Posted by
6600 posts

We enjoyed Sorrento very much but 10 days there would be too much for me

I would do 2 bases -maybe 6 nights in Sorrento then 4 in Salerno
We spent just 2 nights in Salerno and really liked it

From Sorrento visit Naples, Pompeii,Capri
From Salerno visit AC towns and Paestum

Where are you flying in and out if?

There are direct trains from Salerno to Naples and Rome

This topic comes up a lot, spend some time searching here and you’ll get lots of opinions and advice
Be sure to filter search results by forum posts and dates so you don’t just get 10 yr old posts

Posted by
4274 posts

We stayed in Sorrento for 11 days in April and loved it. Our main focus though was Pompeii and the other excavation sites, but we did tour the AC twice during our stay. Sorrento also had several ferries/day going to Capri.

Posted by
5104 posts

I'm not sure what the area was like five years ago, but now the area is very congested and crowded, and spring and fall are now as busy as summer. There is no efficient and quick way to go anywhere. Even with a private driver, you are still sitting in traffic. We stayed in Sorrento and explored the AC this past May. I do feel that Sorrento is a good base for the area.
Amalfi town and Positano were shoulder to shoulder crowded in May. All the shops were the same.
I did enjoy Sorrento, lots of good restaurants, very flat and walkable, on the cliffs above the coastline. David's Gelato by the train station is the best I've ever had, and they have gelato- making classes.
I haven't been to Salerno , but it gets a lot of love here.
I agree with Suki, it's a one and done for me, also.
However this is your adventure, and as long as you're aware of the challenges in the area, "keep on traveling". Have a great trip!

Posted by
15 posts

The few times I've tried the R.S. Forum, I feel so privileged when I read the thoughtful replies (especially Christine H. in Gettysburg!). I really appreciate the advice and have to spend more time exploring the forum for more comments. In the past, I've leaned heavily on travel guides. A small book written by a single author on Nice was the most disappointing. In retrospect, it seems plausible that he was offered something in exchange for a glowing review. And the glorious "photo" of La Colline and the waterfall that my husband and I gazed at countless times was enhanced so much that when we saw it, it was unrecognizable. There's no substitute for personal experience, and I'm so grateful to those of you who shared. I'll be spending a lot more time getting educated here!

Posted by
7531 posts

It's significant that you slept in Ravello and liked it. Ravello is quite far from any beach, and is very quite (except, presumably, during the annual classical music festival.) I don't care for pebble beaches, and I didn't care for Positano, because it was so oriented to luxury shopping and nightlife.

Sorrento (which like the actual AC towns, books up completely six to twelve months in advance) is a purpose-built, postwar resort town, with mostly newer reinforced concrete buildings, two stories tall - except for the largest hotels. One hotel reportedly has a private beach, but otherwise, Sorrento only has one, trucked-in sand, public beach. It is located at the foot of the town elevator, directly between the two marinas. It is TINY, and smells of diesel fuel from the marinas.

That said, we loved our cliff-front, luxury hotel in Sorrento for five nights (Ambasciatori), which had boardwalk (not "floating") private swimming platforms in the Gulf of Naples, reached by the hotel elevators. The real reason for staying in Sorrento is for convenient DAYTRIPS. It is an even better transit center than Amalfi or Salerno, because the ferries are closer to "the islands", and the docks take bigger ferries than, say, Positano. It's also possible to get to Pompeii Scavi for two Euros or so, on the gritty, hot, commuter train.

Your OP is not quite detailed enough, but it seems like you don't care about beaches, and want either quiet or "rural Italy" (which I imagine is hard to find in this location (!) And you don't mention daytrips as vital to your visit. If you use the Search box top center, you may find some posts from people who stayed in inland or less-visited towns, maybe like Minori. It's a bad example, because there is not enough to do for five nights, but we thought Sant' Agata Sui dui Golfi had some small-town charm, and it's easy to get to by uncrowded bus. We mainly went there to find the 1.5 hour, all downhill path back to Sorrento, after enjoying the distant views. The path is 99% paved, and easy with the right shoes (no flip-flops.) I'm NOT comparing it to the Path of the Gods, this is for amateur hikers like my wife and me. I only mention this because it's "not Sorrento!"

I urge you to use the Search box enough to learn about disastrous problems with crowding in general, and with the Positano docks in 2023.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/trip-report-2-weeks-of-day-trips-from-sorrento

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/amalfi-coast-september-transportation-issues

Hi there! I'm really excited to hear that you're planning a special trip to the Amalfi Coast, and it's great that you have several options to choose from. If I were to offer you some friendly advice, I'd suggest going with Amalfi as your home base. Here's why I think Amalfi is the ideal choice compared to Sorrento:

Authentic Atmosphere and Scenic Beauty: Amalfi is a hidden gem on the coast, with its picturesque winding streets, Mediterranean architecture, and breathtaking sea views. The town itself is an attraction, and you can stroll through its narrow lanes and soak in the authentic atmosphere of the Amalfi Coast.

Ease of Access: Amalfi is a well-connected transportation hub, making it easier to explore other coastal towns. You can take a ferry to Capri directly from Amalfi, or travel by bus to visit Positano, Ravello, and other towns. It's a great starting point for your excursions.

Interesting Hikes: I recommend taking a hike to the Valle delle Ferriere, a beautiful trail immersed in nature that will lead you through a rainforest to an ancient paper mill. It's a unique experience to discover the biodiversity of the area.

Food and Drink: Amalfi's cuisine is delicious, and I suggest trying dishes with fresh seafood and local lemons, like the famous "Scialatielli ai frutti di mare" or a refreshing limoncello. There are numerous restaurants and bars where you can enjoy these delicacies.

Transportation Options: To get to Amalfi, you might consider flying into Naples-Capodichino Airport, and from there, taking a private transfer or a bus to the Amalfi Coast. Once in Amalfi, you can use the local SITA buses to get around the coastal towns and ferries to reach Capri and other islands.

Here are some useful resources for planning your trip:

SITA Bus Schedule and Information: For details on local bus schedules.
Official Amalfi Coast Website: For more information about the area and attractions.
Car service: A good service used last time I went there.

Happy travels!