Please sign in to post.

sorrento italy

any recommendations for a 4-5 star hotel

Posted by
7267 posts

https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&filter=Travel+Forum&query=sorrento+hotel+luxury&utf8=%E2%9C%93

I believe that the five biggest "cliffside" hotels have the same parent company. So I doubt that they are wildly different. Because our host here, Rick, described the Ambasciatori as a "worthwhile splurge", we paid for a premium room there in the last week of May some years ago.

We wanted a private gulf-side balcony, and ours had a mini-plunge pool as well, but we didn't fill it. There is a small problem with seagulls and ferry horns in the morning. But our from-the-bed sunrise and motorized window shades, as well as Saturday night fireworks over the gulf, as well as our view of Vesuvius, made up for that. The giant room had furious air conditioning, really needed even in May. We were very happy with our choice, but we are not budget travelers anymore. We asked the hotel to book our 8-hours car service to the Amalfi Coast towns with their land-partner, and we could charge it to our room bill. That's also how we booked the 90 Euro trip back to the Naples rail station.

I think all these hotels have private boardwalk gulf-swimming platforms at the base of the cliff, reached from the hotel elevators. No beach, no kiddee area.

I didn't care for the competitive pricing structure, where the marketing "discounts" were in the form of credits that had to be spent on hotel services. I mean, the hotel food was fine, even very good. But we don't normally eat in a hotel, we walk to town each evening. And we certainly don't want to go to the Neapolitan Musical Evening in the dining room! But this is a very competetive town, one that books up at least six months in advance. You need a list of at least five choices before you start trying to actually book.

Posted by
1078 posts

Sorrento Hilton Palace is excellent and has 3 pools if that is important.

Posted by
3961 posts

We enjoyed our stay at the Grand Hotel De La Ville. We were on a culinary tour of Southern Italy. The accommodation was centrally located, excellent cuisine, peaceful & stunning view of the Gulf of Naples & Mount Vesuvius.
https://www.delavillesorrento.com/

Posted by
464 posts

The Bellevue Syrene on Piazza Della Vittoria is one of our favorite hotels. Get a seaview room. The views of the Bay of Naples are stunning, and sunsets are gorgeous there. The location is superb and an easy walk to the Villa Comunale Park which has an elevator down to the Marina where you can take a boat to Capri. This hotel is also near the Centro Storico area which has lovely cafes. This hotel is expensive but worth it. When we were there pre-Covid they served complimentary refreshments throughout the day.