Please sign in to post.

Sorrento in march

I have 9-10 days to spend in Italy and I am thinking about splitting my time between Rome and the Almalfi coast area. Has anyone been in this area in march? Is everything open? I am thinking maybe 4 nights there with one or two days going to naples and Pompei. Any advice is appreciated.

Posted by
1829 posts

We will be there middle of March, it will be the earliest we have visited so far. However being before Easter, which is when the season really gets going, don't expect everything in the town to be up and running The major sites will be open and ordinary shops and, I have been advised, enough restos will be available. Certainly Sorrento, having a bigger population, will have more to offer than the other towns in the area at that time. One issue will be the possible suspension of sea crossings because of bad weather so a visit to Capri might not be possible. PS - you should be able to get a good deal on hotels. I have seen at least one offering 50% discounts (it has an out of town location) but some of the in town and usually more expensive hotels might be glad of your custom! I have heard of people contacting the hotels and asking for their best price.

Posted by
1510 posts

We were in Sorrento for 3 nights, Naples for 3 nights, and Rome for 5 nights in March 2011 as part of a longer trip. The weather was great - a little cool in the morning and evening but very pleasant during the day, although we had a couple of days with showers. We also went to Pompeii and Ercolano and rode the bus to Amalfi and back. Not sure what 'everything' you're interested in. It seemed all restaurants were open and all sites as well. Weather wise, you can't tell from one year to the next and have to plan for rain, cold, and heat. Overall you should expect to have a great time!