Please sign in to post.

Sorrento hotels

I am planning a 5 day trip to Sorrento with my daughter. We would like tips for a nice but reasonable hotel. I would like good access to trains/buses but would like to be on the beach if possible. Any suggestions. Also, please suggest things you would recommend during our stay. Thanks!

Posted by
7209 posts

First thing I would say is that 5 days is too long for Sorrento. Beaches are nothing like the USA...pebbles, rocks and sometimes platforms built out into the ocean. It's nice, but the water is coooold and I don't think you'll be spending a whole lot of time doing the beach thing. We stayed at the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori which has its own beach platform and an elevator all the down through the cliff from where the hotel sits to the platform at the bottom. It's an excellent hotel...maybe not considered reasonable. Pompeii is easily done from Sorrento as is the Isle of Capri, but after that I think you might want to move on down the Amalfi coast a bit.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I have never been to Italy and need just this kind of information.

Posted by
7 posts

I will be visiting Sorrento shortly, and have planned the first week of our 3 week vacation there. We will be staying at Secret Garden Relais, in the Piano di Sorrento Area. With easy access, we anticipate, to Naples, Amalfi Coast, and a wide variety of sights. The train is nearby. I see it as a relaxing and informative time. Secret Garden Relais is a B&B that I arranged for on line. It is a reasonably priced hotel. Will this be a great start to a trip, or will we be bored in this picturesque location? I'm betting on the former.

Posted by
9422 posts

Five days is not too long for Sorrento! We've been there three times, staying a week each time, and would have liked to stay longer. We love it. There is so much to see and do: Capri, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Mt. Vesuvius, Positano, Amalfi, Hop-On Hop-Off Bus, walk around town, sit in outdoor cafes/restaurants to eat and people watch, shop, lie on the beach in a lounge chair at La Tonnarella! We stayed at the hotel La Tonnarella each time, it's in Rick's book, and they have a private beach which is very nice. It was very hot each time we were there and the water was not too cold - it was great.

Posted by
7209 posts

My suggestion would be if you want to see Positano or the Amalfi Coast (both south of Sorrento) then GO there and spend a day or two. Spend a night in Positano and spend the night in Amalfi...I just wouldn't suggest doing daytrips to there from Sorrento. Yes the train is in Sorrento, but the train (Circumvesuviana) only connects Naples to Sorrento and Sorrento is the terminus. Pompeii Scavi lies along the Circuvesuviana train line but you can't take the train passed Sorrento...you'll have to take the bus and/or drive. Yes go farther south and spend some time there...just don't do it from Sorrento :-)

Posted by
3551 posts

Realize the beaches are small and to find a hotel that is reasonable is prob impossible in that area. Sorrento & surrounding areas are IMO worth at least 5 days. It is beautiful and jammed packed w/ great tourist things to do. We spent 5 nights there and wished that we could have stayed longer. an air cond. hotel is advisable during summer & you will pay xtra for this imp.comfort.
You can easily take ferries , train or bus to the tourist destinations. It is all in RS guidebks for the detail.

Posted by
9422 posts

As JS said, you can take ferries / boats to many places (Positano, Capri, Amalfi to name a few) which is very fun. You do not have to drive or take a bus. The road from Sorrento going south along the Amalfi Coast is very much like Hwy 1 along the coast of Wa, Ore and Ca. We preferred taking ferries / boats. Our most favorite day trip was from Sorrento to Positano. It's very easy and very enjoyable. In addition to Pompeii & Naples, the Circumvesuviana train also takes you to Herculaneum and relatively close to Mt. Vesuvius (where you then take a bus). Also as JS said, Rick explains it all in his Italy book.

Posted by
9 posts

I really want to thank everyone for the information. Postinano was not on my radar but I will definitely go read up on it now. Also, I am planning to see about the Hotel La Tonnandle. Thanks so much!

Posted by
9422 posts

Cherry, you will like La Tonnarella - and if you can, get a room with a balcony. The views are incredible. But even if you don't, the hotel has terraces, and large windows in the dining room and lobby for the views. Their restaurant is really good and you can sit outside in nice weather.
They have new (in '08) computers w/internet in every room, in case that matters to you or your daughter.

Posted by
9 posts

I tried to book at La Tonnarella last night. Unfortunately, there are no rooms for the time I need.
:(

Posted by
7737 posts

When are you planning to be there? You'll get better suggestions if you share that info. Good luck. (You'll love Sorrento.)

Posted by
9 posts

I will be in the Sorrento area from March 13 through the 18th.

Posted by
1018 posts

Define reasonable because reasonable is a nebulous term that means different things to different people. You need to state your budget in dollar/euro amounts. In the meantime, check venere.com and tripadvisor.com for selections. Both sites will provide many hotels, pricing, map locations, and client reviews. These 2 sites should help narrow your choice. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
7737 posts

March 13 to 18? The weather will not exactly be beach-weather, you know? Here's what Weather Underground says for Sorrento, based on the last 10 years of data. The Average High Temperature is 60 F with a historical range of 51 F to 68 F
The Average Low Temperature is 51 F with a historical range of 46 F to 57 F That said, it will be a little warmer than Sequim, won't it? (For non PNW-ers, Sequim is in Washington State, up by Vancouver Island, on the Straits of Juan de Fuca, and it's pronounced "Skwim".) Have a great time, but don't bother packing the bikini unless you come from hearty Scandinavian stock. :-)

Posted by
9 posts

Michael, your message made me smile You surely are in the know about Sequim and yes, given that we have an unseasonable 6 inches of snow here today, Sorrento is bound to be warmer. I am looking for a beach hotel basically because my daughter has her sweet little heart set on it. I have booked us rooms in the Ulissa Deluxe but can cancel if I find something better. I'm satifsied with my arrangements for now. But welcome any other ideas.

Posted by
27 posts

I would try Hotel Il Nido. It is not in city center, but they have a shuttle bus to and from Sorrento. Views are to die for and reasonably priced.