Please sign in to post.

Sorrento Hotel suggestions

Hello. Would anyone like to suggest a hotel in Sorrento somewhat near the train station? We will be there 5 nights and take day trips to Pompeii, Capri and the Amalfi Coast. Thanks.

Posted by
1829 posts

When are you going and what is your budget? Outside high season you will get more choice for your money. There is no reason to stay right by the station, Sorrento is not a huge place and most places in the town should be near enough. My latest favourite is Palazzo Januzzi in the centre of town in Piazza Tasso, five minutes walk from the station. http://www.palazzojannuzzi.com/

Posted by
11335 posts

We spent a week in Decembe at Hotel Antiche Mura and loved it. It is less than 10 minutes from the station and a block or two from Piazza Tasso. Super breakfast buffet, wonderful staff.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you both for your replies. I have never been to Europe or Italy and I am very excited about this trip. I appreciate your suggestions and I will look into both of these hotels. Cheers.

Posted by
11335 posts

I have never been to Europe or Italy and I am very excited about this trip. Careful Cathy, you could have a life-changing moment! I would have made the same staement three years ago, and now we live here!!! Enjoy the planning! 5 nights is a great stay in Sorrento. Good for you not rushing through. I highly recommend the restaurant Da Gigino in Sorrento. Family place, quite reasonable prices, and a great seafood risotto! Il Leon Rosso near the station is good, too. Might seem a bit touristy, but lots of locals were eating there in Dec. Nice people, decent prices for Sorrento. If it is possible in your budget, Pompeii guide Gaetano Manfredi is worth every euro of his fee (200 euros). He makes Pompeii come alive! 3rd generation guide, very professional. R.S. recommedation, too. Gaetano leads the R.S groups thru Pompeii. Other than for Rick, he only does private, small group tours. So if you hire him, no one else will be in your party.

Posted by
3601 posts

Here's another vote for Maison Tofani. We stayed there a couple of weeks ago, and we couldn't have been more pleased. I put up a review on Tripadvisor, if you want to see more details.

Posted by
7 posts

Laurel, thank you for your reply. I will look up contact information for the guide you mentioned. Sorrento is the end of a almost 5 week trip. We fly into London on 9/14 (yea frequent flyer miles!) and depart from Rome on 10/18 (again yea ff miles). We have 6 days in Rome, 10/6-1012 before we go to Sorrento. This is our 25th wedding anniversary present to ourselves and I have been planning this for months. I have accommodations planned, I am struggling with train arrangements right now, I keep getting switched to the Eurail web site that doesn't even show the TGV trains that I want. Do you have any other suggestions of tours or guides for me? I will be contacting the person you suggested to set up a tour of Pompeii and I would appreciate any suggestions you may have for Rome. And if you have any suggestions on navigating the train web sites, I would be most grateful.

Posted by
14 posts

Maison Tofani! Easy walk from the station if you're traveling light, quick cab if you're not. I cannot say enough good things about Maison Tofani.

Posted by
11335 posts

I understand Trenitalia's site has been a bit difficult of late. There was a post a few days ago with some suggestions. http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/86035/trenitalia-unable-to-buy-tickets-for-september.html I can't help you with France. You might try the Transportation board. If you can get her, Francesca Caruso (last I knew her email was FrancescainRoma@gmail.com) is fantastic for the Colosseo, Palatino, and Foro Romano. We enjoyed her on our 25th anniversary trip in October 2010! Also, for the Vatican, we loved our tour with http://www.walksofitaly.com/. We took the "Pristine Sistine" tour. Highly recommend! Where are you staying in Roma?

Posted by
192 posts

Hi Cathy I really recommend Hotel Sorrento City for a great location as home base-a few blocks from train station-nice breakfast, helpful staff. Can be loud on street side but its fun to sit on balcony and watch the show! Mike DC

Posted by
1046 posts

I agree that there is no reason to stay near the train station. Sorrento is so very walkable. Also, hotels outside the city provide great transit to and from the "meeting place" (easy to find and get to no matter where you end up). I love Il Nido (www.ilnido.it) as a great place to stay, wonderful breakfast, spectacular views, very nice people and very affordable. Sorrento has stopped the hotel vans from picking you up at the train station :( and the taxi rate is really high. The "meeting place" is an easy and interesting 10 minute walk on flat ground. Whatever you do - don't miss the sunset! It's the most beautiful in the world.