Please sign in to post.

Sorrento Hotel recommendations?

I scanned about 3 pages of the forum and haven't seen this topic recently so wondering if anyone can recommend a hotel in Sorrento? I like it as a home base because I've heard it has easy connections by train or ferry to the Amalfi Coast and Naples. Also the town is prettier, smaller and less gritty than Naples. Open to other recommendations as to a good "base camp" town in that area.

Looking for a hotel in the Rick Steves style...good value, friendly staff, clean, and in a great location. Would really like a room with a sea view and not many steps and/or has an elevator and easy to get to the ferry or train station. If this unicorn exists I'd love to hear about it. :)

Also, any insight as to the weather and what the town is like in either September, October or November?

Posted by
7512 posts

BTW, this newsboard has a pretty good Search box, top left in blue. Easier than paging through recent posts. Even has a filter (after the search) for 1 year, 2 year old, etc.

Rick's "Worthwhile splurge" is the Ambasciatori Grande, which we liked but expensive for this newsboard. You need to study the layout of the town to learn which hotels are near the elevator down to the marinas. Check ferry schedules before you imagine using a ferry every day. I'll also say we had some ferry horn noise in our cliff-front luxury room.

I'd expect a big difference between September and November. Fewer ferries, stormy water cancellations, a few places closed for the season. But regarding Sorrento, there is sustained demand from places like the U.K. May-September books up fully at least six months in advance.

Edit: Always look up the exact location of a Sorrento hotel you consider, just so you know what you're getting. There are sea views from far away, even up the huge hill where the Tour Bus hotels are, with shuttles to downtown. The five luxury hotels right on the Gulf cliff generally have a private boardwalk (not "floating") sea bathing platform with a bar, reached inside the cliff, from the hotel's main elevator. Sorrento has only one tiny public beach, placed between the two marinas, for maximum diesel aroma.

I will say that the Ambasciatori's business model has house-only rebates from the internet pricing, rather than discounts. So we had an in-house dinner (perfectly good) that we might not otherwise have ordered. We usually had a nice walk downtown, by the Passeggiata, and looked for a restaurant.

It was convenient to charge our 8-hour day with Mercedes sedan and driver, on the Amalfi Coast, to our room bill. That's how we paid for the final transfer to Naples, as well.

Posted by
43 posts

Thanks. I did a search for "Sorrento Hotel" and got mostly older recommendations but maybe I clicked the wrong thing... ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks! I will check out that hotel.

Posted by
11 posts

I hear that the pastel-colored town of Sorrento is a great spot. There's always good value if you scout around for deals. September and October are usually fairly warm and sunny, with November being a bit chillier but still pleasant. Keep an eye out - you might just find a place with a sea view and all the criteria you mentioned!

Posted by
1049 posts

I recommend Hotel il Nido. I've stayed there at least a dozen times and it only gets better - even though it started out as great! It's above the town with amazing views (especially at sunset when the Bay of Naples is surrounded by a necklace of diamonds). They have a regular shuttle to and from town. The restaurant is my favorite in all of Sorrento. Gianni will help you with reservations. Dino is at the front desk with some great helpers. Couldn't ask for a better combination! ilnido.it

Posted by
43 posts

Thanks! I checked Il Nido out on Booking.com and it does look like everything you say and have all the things we are looking for. Definitely a contender! :)

Posted by
43 posts

Hi Tim:
Thanks for the detailed reply with the tips about Sorrento.
I guess the first step is for me to decide the general area to stay in. Could you list the advantages and disadvantages of staying on top of the hill vs. in town? It sounds like to get a beautiful cliff view from your hotel room you have to stay above the town and take a shuttle or elevator to get to the town or beach? How often do shuttles go from the hotel to the beach or town? Was that convenient or a hassle to have to wait for a shuttle? Have you ever stayed in town?

Posted by
9429 posts

We love Sorrento and have stayed at Hotel La Tonnarella two times, a week each time, and loved it. Bonus is they have a private beach, a very good restaurant, fantastic buffet breakfast, terraces, balconies, flowers, amazing views.

Posted by
7512 posts

I have only slept in Sorrento for one five day stay at the Ambasciatori. I know about the hillside (hotel-operated, not city busses) shuttles from reading on newsboards, and walking down the hillside from Sant' Agata sui dui Golfi. I think you are asking about a mainly financial decision. We are pretty old, and don't care that the luxury hotels on the cliff edge (this is not a "seaside" town, it's a "cliffside" town) are expensive. We paid extra for the water side, and for a big balcony. A huge window faced the foot of our bed, with Vesuvius unobstructed in the center. Frigid air conditioning, which we really needed in May.

For the last week in May (pre-Pandemic), I needed a list of more than five hotels. This place, a purpose-built, postwar summer resort, mainly reinforced-concrete construction, books up far in advance. Sorry, I don't have that list anymore, but it was just the kind of internet research you are doing now. You may wish to state your budget level.

You need to use that search box, so you also learn about people who stay in the neighboring towns, that are even cheaper. It all depends on what you want, and how much you can afford. You also need an idea of what you might do on each day. I mean, because Sorrento's big selling point is not a few orange trees. It's the excellent location for daytrips. It's a dumb comparison, but to some people, it is essential that they stay in Positano, and they don't care about walking up 400 or more steps everyday when they finish on the cramped, pay, pebbled beach, jammed with Beautiful People. But that's how they afford to stay in Positano.

Our own priority was daytrips, and Sorrento was great for that. Also wide choice of (busy) restaurants in the evening. I suspect reservations are more important in Positano, for example. Have you downloaded the in-season and off-season ferry schedules yet?

Posted by
83 posts

We are leaving for Italy in less than a week. While in Sorrento we will be staying at the Hotel Antiche Mura, which is a Rick Steve's favorite. I have never stayed there, so no first hand experience--yet, but it gets great reviews.

Posted by
16007 posts

While in Sorrento we will be staying at the Hotel Antiche Mura

We enjoyed our stay there very much! It doesn't offer sea views but has a pleasant garden with a pool and a bar (warmer seasons). Breakfast is in a lovely large, sunny porch, and the desk staff was terrific. No noise issues. Easy, level walk from the train station, Piazza Tasso and other historic-center locations. Spring for a Comfort Room or better if your budget allows.