Please sign in to post.

Sorrento Hotel Recommendations

My Son and wife are planning anniversary trip to Sorrento. Any good recommendations for hotels on the water? Also, any other must see in the area. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
7260 posts

Are you being taken on the anniversary trip?

Sorrento is built on a cliff. The hotels on the water are cliffside. Sorrento has only one, public sand beach, which is small and unattractive. The expensive cliffside hotels tend to have private boardwalk swimming platforms in the gulf, reached by the hotel's own elevator.

Many people react negatively to the prices for these big, full-service hotels. But when you consider things like view, air-conditioning, breakfast buffet size, land-tour partners, land-transport (i.e. private car and drive) partners, and so on, they do deliver value.

Sorrento (pre-Pandemic anyway) books up six to nine months in advance. If you delay booking, you will only have access to the bigger, more expensive hotels. We ended up with our sixth choice. But the Ambasciatori is listed by (our host here) Rick as a "worthwhile splurge". We paid extra for an oversize balcony with a view of Vesuvius, and could see (surprise) fireworks and sunset from our bed. Motorized drapes. Huge room, with cool tile floors. Great air conditioning. There was some noise from ferry horns, and a small problem with seagulls on the balcony. But many stupid tourists feed the birds, don't they!

Sorrento is a purpose-built, postwar resort town, mostly reinforced concrete and similar construction. But it is a perennial favorite among sun-seekers, especially Brits. We stayed there because it has, by far, the best daytrip transport connections in the area. And it's a nice walk to downtown for dinner in a different restaurant each night.

It is often reckless to fly home from Rome the same day you wake up in Sorrento. It is recommended to do your Rome days at the end of your vacation, instead of "before" Sorrento.

https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&date_range=2y&filter=Travel+Forum&query=sorrento+hotel&utf8=%E2%9C%93

Posted by
78 posts

I stayed at the Maison d'art in early June. It's conveniently located across from the Piazza Taso (main square) and a short walk from the train station. Very nicely appointed, clean and close to all the happenings. Marialuisa was an excellent hostess. Give her my regards, if you stay there. Views of the Piazza, hills and the main street, but unfortunately not on the water.

Posted by
11 posts

I loved Sorrento! My grandma, mom, sister and I stayed at the Villa Crawford in 2017. It's listed as a religious guest house and nuns ran the place. It is not fancy (no TV's, small rooms) BUT you're right on the cliff, the views are breathtaking, the property is peaceful and beautiful and the cappuccinos are delicious. The price was also very reasonable. We still talk about the experience there. A non-touristy option for consideration. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
464 posts

The area near Piazza della Vittoria in Sorrento has lovely cliffside hotels with beautiful views of the Bay of Naples. We stayed at the Bellevue Syrene which was in a great location with gorgeous sunset views. Other hotels near it to consider would be Hotel La Favorita, Hotel IL Tramontano, and Hotel Rivoli. They are all near the Villa Communale park which has the Sorrento lift that takes you down to the Marina where you can take a boat to Capri. They are also very near the Centro Storico area which is a charming area with restaurants and shops on Via Reginal Giuliani. A special place for dinner would be O'Parrucchiano La Favorite on Corso Italia which has a garden like setting with orange trees, lemon trees, and pink roses. Sorrento is a great location for an anniversary trip.

Posted by
9420 posts

Ambasciatori, as Tim mentioned, would be my 1st choice. We’ve stayed at La Tonnarella twice for a week each time. On the cliff, a 5 min beautiful walk from downtown. We love it. Great restaurant, fantastic buffet breakfast, several outdoor terraces, lots of flowers, parking, a private beach with elevator access, great staff, clean rooms, good beds. We had a private terrace our first visit which was very nice. The views from La Tonnarella are jaw-dropping… Bay of Naples, Capri, Sorrento, Naples, Mt Vesuvius.

Posted by
194 posts

We were just in Sorrento this past April, and really enjoyed a couple of nights at Maison La Minervetta. Not cheap, but a great location, walkable into town (and back), with too many little details to list here (like a private stairway all the way down to the harbor, little pools and sun-bathing spots up and down the cliff-side, a huge patio/terrace and really cool decor and tasteful touches throughout).

Our room had a jaw-dropping view of the bay and Vesuvius, includes a really nice made-to-order breakfast each morning (again with the view!) which featured probably the best omelet I've ever had, and a really helpful staff. While it was a bit above our typical price-point, we were celebrating our 30th anniversary early, so we decided we'd splurge.