Please sign in to post.

Sorrento ?

I'm taking a day trip on a Monday in September from Rome to see the Pompeii ruins. I should be done sightseeing in Pompeii by 2 PM. I see that Sorrento is only 1/2 hour by train from Pompeii. Is Sorrento worth a look-see for a few hours before I head back to Rome (its about 3 hours from Pompeii to Rome) ?

Posted by
9420 posts

Yes! Sorrento is our absolute favorite place in Italy.

Posted by
16 posts

Dan, I am just back from a week in Sorrento and did day trips from there every day. If you are not completely burned out on the ruins scene after Pompeii, consider going to nearby Herculaneum. Also destroyed in the 79 AD Vesuvius eruption, it is much more intact, and as a much smaller site, easy to navigate. I loved seeing BOTH sites, I found the contrast really interesting!
However, if one "ruin" a day is enough for you, Sorrento is lovely, although kind of touristy in places. There are beautiful views and many special little places to find...send me a message or reply to this post if you would like more info on Sorrento. Have a great trip, whatever you decide to do!

Posted by
508 posts

Dan - Sorrento is beautiful (and one of my favorite places), but might be hard to do on a day trip from Rome. Consider going back to Naples to see the Archaeological Museum, doing the Spaccanapoli walk and getting some pizza before heading back to Rome in the evening. I think Rick's Rome book had a plan for day trip to Pompeii in it...