Please sign in to post.

Sorrento

Looking to stay in Sorrento for our honeymoon in June. Open to where the best area is to stay? Is staying in Sorrento for six days too long? We are planning to do a day trip to Capri and Positano. Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Posted by
11175 posts

Is this part of the 9 day honeymoon trip that included Venice, that you mentioned in your other post?

Where else do you plan to be?

Sorrento makes a good base for day trips to Positano, Capri, Pompeii/Herculaneum.

If you give the forum some context of your entire trip, you can get better suggestions.

Posted by
336 posts

We stayed at La Tonnarella and were quite happy with it. Location is outside of town, overlooking bay and Mt Vesuvius. We took a cab to/from the train station for arrival and departure. Otherwise we walked to town. A long but nice walk. We did 5 nights and did day trips to AC, Pompei, Capri, and Vesuvius. We really liked Sorrento!!!!

Posted by
4637 posts

The best area to stay in Sorrento is almost anywhere. We stayed in hotel Antiche Mura close to piazza Tasso (central square). We originally planned to stay 3 nights and stayed 5 nights. The hotel has a swimming pool in a lemon orchard. Sorrento is an ideal base for trips to Capri, Positano, Amalfi, Pompeii, Vesuvius, Herculaneum, Naples.

Posted by
1025 posts

Sorrento is delightful, especially at night after the crowds disperse. On my last trip there, I stayed for 5 days and could have stayed for 5 more.

Posted by
6788 posts

I'd be happy in Sorrento for 6 days, using it as a base for the area. Hopefully as part of a much longer trip to Italy.

Posted by
5 posts

We have decided to just stay in one area and have chosen Sorrento. Once I received the former replies recommending that it is not a good idea to do more than one area. I wasn't sure if there was a particular area that is best to stay in Sorrento?

Posted by
15804 posts

We stayed in hotel Antiche Mura close to piazza Tasso (central
square).

Another vote for this one. Great hotel although no view of the coastline.

Posted by
297 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Mignon. In the city center, just off the main road going through town. Our room had a balcony that we enjoyed a bottle of wine and some fresh cheese that I purchased at a local shop when we arrived. It was special.
https://www.sorrentohotelmignon.com/

Posted by
4105 posts

One of the nice things about staying in Sorrento, is if you have a rain day you, have easy access to Naples and it's museums.

Posted by
6042 posts

Haven't been to Sorrento... yet. We'll be there next month celebrating our 40th.

The town is not all that big but regardless we always prefer to stay as close to center/transportation as is reasonable/affordable so usually I look for location first, ease of access is also important to us (elevator or the fewer steps up the better!) air conditioning is a must and since I do sometimes have to work a bit while traveling I need good wifi so I read thru reviews looking specifically for wifi comments.

We are staying here for 4 nights - we chose it for location, views, pool, grounds. It's a bit fancier and more expensive than our usual budget but we decided to splurge. Since this is your honeymoon you might want to do the same.
Grand Hotel de la Ville
https://www.delavillesorrento.com

I use Booking.com to start my searches- and often end up booking thru the actual hotel website- but not always.
You can filter by price, location, amenities, etc.

Posted by
182 posts

Stay in Positano 4 nights at bucca di bacco with a sea view. The rooms and balcony# and location is the honeymoon memory
and Sorrento 5 nights I would stay in town, a view of the bay of Naples is glorious. We stayed at la tonnerella the view of Sorrento and bay of Naples was amazing but it would have been nicer to be more in town.
Also the ferry makes getting around very easy and enjoyable

Posted by
4637 posts

Unfortunately there is no ocean view from Positano as it was mentioned. The closest ocean from there is the Atlantic Ocean and it is not possible to see it that far away.

Posted by
1166 posts

If all of the above fail, try Hotel Minerva.

The balcony overlooking the bay of Naples is expansive, they have music to dance to at night, the breakfast buffet is massive, and the walk into town takes about 5 minutes. Really a nice property if you want a view.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all for your responses and recommendations. Could anyone recommend a town so to speak a little bit outside Sorrento that might be a little less expensive?

Posted by
2299 posts

hey eg0905
congrats on your future wedding.
what is your budget in euros and dates? june is a busy and crowded month everywhere. do you want a hotel, bnb , A/C, view, parking if you will have a car, near transportation means if not. this will help the posters here knowing what you're looking for.
aloha

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you for the very last post, you posed your questions so kindly as opposed to the post right before yours!
If you can't tell I am completely overwhelmed with trying to plan this trip. We know that we would like to go to the Amalfi coast. I was told that it is more cost effective to stay in Sorrento. I just don't know if we stay in Sorrento the whole time? We would like to visit Capri, Ravella and Positano which I understand can be done with day trips. The hotels seem quite pricey, I've looked at some Air Bnb's to keep costs down but just don't know if logistically they make sense or not! We are looking to stay approximately 8-9 days. Any suggestions would be great!

Posted by
6042 posts

If you could share your dates, budget and specific needs we’d probably be able to help you find a place!

Posted by
32201 posts

eg,

First of all, congratulations! Italy is a perfect country to celebrate luna di miele.

My first suggestion would be to buy and pack along a copy of the RS Italy guidebook. There's an enormous amount of information there that will help you plan efficient sightseeing, hotels, and transportation to places like Capri.

Sorrento would be a great home base to explore that part of Italy, and it will be easy to take day trips from there. A few suggestions for accommodations, you might have a look at....

• http://www.desireehotelsorrento.com/index.php (it's located just across from the more posh Hotel Tonnarella, so you can walk over there for a fine meal - be sure to budget for that).
  • https://ilnido.it/ (it's located a few miles outside of town but a beautiful hotel with gorgeous views, and they provide a frequent shuttle service to town).

Be sure to book well in advance.

Posted by
1046 posts

Sorrento is a great place to settle in for your visit. I highly recommend Hotel il Nido (ilnido.it), I've stayed there every year for the past 12 or 13. Very comfortable, very affordable, gorgeous views, and what I dare say is the best kitchen in Sorrento. Easy access to everything around the Amalfi Coast area including Pompeii and Capri. Congratulations on your wedding! Maybe we'll be in Sorrento at the same time (June 24-July 1) - if so, I'd love to buy you two a drink!

Posted by
11175 posts

Robert speaks the truth. Hotel Il Nido is a Very good choice.
I have been there

Posted by
76 posts

I second Grand Hotel de la Ville
https://www.delavillesorrento.com

We stayed there with a gorgeous view of the bay. It's a little away from city center so also a little more access to "real" Italian neighborhood and easy in/easy out for day trips as well as easy walk to city center. The dining is very formal and quite exquisite and there is a pool on the roof with a bar to enjoy sunsets, etc.

One thing I am looking forward to seeing this year that we didn't last time is the Inlaid Woodworking Museum, a specialty of Sorrento
http://www.comune.sorrento.na.it/pagina845_museo-bottega-della-tarsia-lignea.html
Note they are closed on Mondays.

We are going back because we found lots to do and tremendous charm.

Posted by
1090 posts

Yes, if you can share your budget and dates that would be helpful. We have stayed here twice in Ravello and it was €125 per night, including breakfast. http://www.puntacivita.it/

Posted by
1046 posts

Planning your wedding I know can be stressful. Planning your honeymoon could be too but hey, you're going to Italy! It's easy to check out hotels in Sorrento. They'll quote you prices, give you great pictures of the rooms and other parts of the property. And, of course, all of us are glad to offer our suggestions. I think you'll learn more from us from our enthusiasm for specific hotels, restaurants, day trips etc. That said, this will be my (I think) 13th year at il Nido. Same room, same week (last week of June). Dino, Gianni and the family will make you very comfortable and welcomed. I suggest at least one dinner there (although I think it's the best restaurant in Sorrento) to enjoy the spectacular view of Capri, the Bay of Naples, Vesuvius and the necklace of diamonds the whole coastal area takes on as the sunsets. ENJOY!

Posted by
313 posts

We booked our stay using HomeAway. We've used the site for other trips and have always had a good experience. It turns out we're getting a very, very lovely one-bedroom apartment in a terrific, central location with a view of the sea, along with a pool and private area. And it's less expensive than higher-end hotels. Besides the price and the privacy it affords, since I like to cook, we also have the option -- to stay in or go out. Plus, if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can slip into the living room to watch television or read. Don't get me wrong, we're staying at hotels on some of our other stops on this trip, but five leisurely days seems to warrant a laid back place.

Posted by
9420 posts

We’ve stayed in Sorrento twice for a week each time, so no, 6 days is not too long. We absolutely love Sorrento, our favorite place in Italy.
We stayed at La Tonnarella as well, love it. A room w private terrace is fantastic, but any room is good. It is not “a long walk” to town as another poster said. It’s maybe 10 min, w incredible views as you walk. Hotel is on the cliff, mind blowing views of the Bay of Naples, Naples, Sorrento, Capri and Mt Vesuvius. The hotel has many terraces, tons of flowers, a great restaurant, fantastic breakfast buffet and... their own private beach which we really enjoyed.

Posted by
5 posts

I am traveling to Sorrento in June, as well, for a five day stay. Found a reasonable and adorable Airbnb. My friend and I will be taking day trips from Sorrento, including Capri, Pompeii and Amalfi. This forum has been helpful in terms of how to plan those day trips -- so keep asking questions! Congrats on your wedding.