Please sign in to post.

Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi, Naples End of august,sept 2024

Still trying to decide on where to stay. Currently looking at staying 4 days in Sorrento, 3 days Capri, 2-3 days Amalfi, and 3-4 days Naples. Do you think worth staying in Capri or Amalfi? Thoughts? Thank you.

Posted by
3260 posts

I would do 4 nights each in Sorrento, Amalfi and Napoli.
Having visited Capri, I would only do it as a day trip. I love the Amalfi Coast and my favorite town in which to stay is Amalfi. It’s a transportation hub so it’s easy to catch ferries or buses to visit the area. Take a look at the Villa Annalara. Small hotel with terrific views of the sea and town of Amalfi. Many people like to stay in Positano. I have but I didn’t enjoy it because of the steep hills and I’m not a mountain goat. Fine to look at the luxury shops but the best view of the town is from a ferry. 4 days in Sorrento and 4 in Napoli are fine. You should also plan a day trip from Amalfi to Salerno and hop a train to see the Greek ruins and museum in Paestum.

Posted by
4105 posts

Have you narrowed down which places you’ll want to see from each location?

Salerno is best for a visit to Paestum and along the coast towns to Amalfi.
Very good ferry and bus service.

Amalfi is best for Positano, Praiano, Amalfi, Atrani and Ravello. Transportation hub of the coast.

Sorrento easy transportation by ferry from Amalfi. Circumvesuvian to Pompeii and Naples. Quick ferry 20-30 minutes to Capri then to Naples (50 min).

Naples has so very much to offer, it would take months. Fast trains to other cities.
Archaeological museum, Palaces, Royal Palace,, Reggio Caserta (rivals Versailles) Forts Sant’Elmo) Castel del Ovo, Castel Nuovo , Churches are everywhere. Food is Amazing.

Only way to decide, is to pick what interests you the most.

Posted by
16409 posts

I guess I'll disagree with the advice above to do Capri only as a day trip. If you do that during high season, you'll be smack in the middle of the heaviest crowds. Staying a couple of nights, as we did, will allow you to enjoy the hours before the day-tripping hordes descend and after they leave. Those are golden hours!

But you might want to tell us what interests you about Capri, and how you are planning to spend your time there?

Posted by
16409 posts

Sue, in case you haven't found it yet, Capri has a very nice website that will help you plan your stay should you decide to spend some time there, Take a look?

https://www.capri.com

I'll just caution not to get sucked in by the many offers for tours: you don't need them for almost anything. As you'll see, the site provides instructions for self-guided walks. I'll strongly recommend buying a map of the island as soon as you get there as you'll need it for following the routes on the website.

IMHO, just exploring the island on foot - on no timetable - is a great way to do this one. I will recommend the chairlift from Anacapri to the top of Mt Solarno; take a bus to Anacapri village; it only takes a few minutes from Capri town. We also enjoyed the walk from Capri to Villa Jovis, and the Pizzolungo coastal path. What we skipped? The Blue Grotto, and never been sorry that we gave it a miss. :O

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g488299-d195537-Reviews-Blue_Grotto-Anacapri_Island_of_Capri_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html