Please sign in to post.

Sorrento

We are in Sorrento two full days in October. On one we are going to Pompeii and the other Sorrento Boat Tour or ferry.
What was your favorite thing to see around the city center? Thank you

Posted by
1022 posts

There’s nothing particularly worth seeing in Sorrento itself, and it’s not very big. I’m not knocking the place, but you’ll see everything worth seeing as you wander around for dinner. There’s no real “sights.”

Posted by
11680 posts

Just enjoy the city by wandering. There is a good museum, the Correale, or consider a day trip by bus to Positano and Amalfi town.

Posted by
1059 posts

Personally, I love Sorrento and for the past 12 or so years have spent a week there every year. The old, Greek area of the city is primarily shopping and eating. Wonderful locally made linen shirts for men (good stuff for women too - or so I'm told)! The small park next to the church San Francesco is the place to be for sunset - my favorite place for sunsets, period! The Marina Grande is my destination for a big seafood dinner (Trattoria da Emilia). The bill is always much less than I expect too. For something completely different try Inn Bufalito - all water buffalo menu (no, it doesn't taste like chicken and it isn't 'gamey'). I always stay at Hotel il Nido - which is above the town with the most amazing views and restaurant to match. The cathedral is full of beautiful in-laden wood art and doors. The Foreigner's Club is a great place for a drink and view (food doesn't have much to recommend it). I think I've filled your two days with worthwhile possibilities. :)

Posted by
7772 posts

Not sure what you mean by boat tour. If you take a ferry to Positano (and or back), you'll both see Positano and view Sorrento from the water - is that your aim? I'm not saying you have to see Positano, but it's a major goal of most people visiting Sorrento.

This is a personal favorite, but your actual enjoyment depends on good weather and your physical condition. And you need to go into the newsstand at the train stop and buy a bus ticket for each person: It's not a real hike, but an easy, semisteep walk down (99% paved) from Sant' Agata sui dui Golfi (SITA bus opposite the Sorrento Circumvesuviana station) has great views, cool breezes, and interesting sights. 1.5 - 2.5 hours, returns behind the gorge and Tasso square. This could be done in sneakers rather than needing boots, but not in sandals, because of the slope. No picnic spots, just a nice, easy walk.

Posted by
76 posts

Have fun, Blueangel4! Sorrento is pretty touristy, but much more doable in October. We will be there for a couple of nights in October on our way down to Calabria. I agree with the comment about going to Sant'Agata on a hike. It is very pretty and if you like hiking, a wonderful way to spend some time.

This trip I am making a point to go to the inlaid wood museum - http://www.museomuta.it/ . This is a special craft unique to Sorrento. Our hotel room last time highlighted both this and the tile craft of the region. I can't wait to see more and learn how one gains this skill!

Also, the lemon grove and the many places to sample limoncello can be quite fun.

We will take Robert's recommendations about restaurants in the Marina Grande seriously as well.

Posted by
166 posts

Make sure you have a balcony with a killer view across the Bay. My favorite part of the week we spent there was sitting out in the late afternoon with a bottle of wine and pondering Monte Vesuvio.

Posted by
464 posts

We have great memories of Sorrento and enjoyed the Centro Storico area and the shops and restaurants on Via Reginald Guiliani. The Blu Waters restaurant had great food. There are amazing sunset views near the Bellevue Syrene hotel. The Sorrento lift at the Villa Communale Park takes you down to Marina Piccolo where you can get gelato at Rusticca restaurant with views of the harbor. (We took a boat from there to Capri for a day). We had dinner one evening at O'Parrucchiano La Favorite at Corso Italia which was a garden style restaurant with lemon trees, orange trees, and pink roses. Get a hotel with a balcony and view of Mt. Vesuvius. The nighttime view of the Bay of Naples is gorgeous like a bejeweled necklace of lights.