Please sign in to post.

Sorento

What do you think is known as the best hotel in Sorento for a family? Is that the best area to stay if I am coming from Rome for 3 days? Also what is the best way to get from Rome to Sorrento? Thank you.

Posted by
9420 posts

We love Sorrento, been there many times. I think it's the perfect base for sightseeing (Pompeii, Herculaneum, Positano, Amalfi & Coast, Capri, etc). It's also worth spending time in town, it's charming. There are lots of good hotels in Sorrento, but we've only stayed at Hotel La Tonnarella which we like a lot. It has a private beach, rooms with or without terraces, a really good restaurant where you can eat outside on their large terrace with amazing views in good weather, great buffet breakfast and parking. Use the search bar to find previous hotel recommendations on this site, or check out TripAdvisor.com. To get to Sorrento from Rome, you take the train to Naples, then go downstairs to the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento. Some people recommend taking the train to Naples, a taxi to the port, then a boat to Sorrento.

Posted by
15198 posts

The entire Amalfi coast is beautiful. From Sorrento to Positano to Praiano to Ravello to Amalfi. I personally prefer Positano of all those towns, but you can do some research (also look up at images on Google Images) and decide what you like best. Best way from Rome is: 1. Train from Rome to Naples (many a day, just over one hour with the fastest trains). Visit www.Trenitalia.com for times and fares. 2. Once in Naples Garibaldi Station (Central Station), go downstairs to the Circumvesuviana commuter trains (lower level of the station). Visit www.Vesuviana.it for times and fares. 3. take Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento (another hour from Naples). 4. if you prefer Positano (as I do), from the Sorrento station you can take a SITA bus from Sorrento to Positano (the bus proceeds even further south to Amalfi). http://www.amalficoasts.com/orari_sita_bus_timetables.html I think there is also a bus directly from Naples and Rome but I've never taken it. You can search online on any search engine. Key words: AUTOBUS NAPOLI (ROMA) SORRENTO (or POSITANO)

Posted by
2367 posts

We loved Positano but granddaughter was bored beyond tears as not much to do there except shop and eat! There might be more for you to do with children in Sorrento as Positano is relatively small. Roberto is right on with transport information.

Posted by
1829 posts

It depends on how old your children are. If they are in their teens, stay in Sorrento town centre itself. You can then let them pop out on their own for shopping/gelato/hanging out. It is quite safe to do so, they will find many of their own age out and about. With younger ones maybe somewhere with a pool, assuming you are travelling in the warmer months. Something like the Bristol which also has a children's play area? It is about a 10 minute walk to the town centre but there is also a public bus service which goes by the hotel. http://www.bristolsorrento.com There are also two children's playgrounds in/near the town centre. Without more details eg budget, children's ages and time of year etc it is difficult to be more helpful.

Posted by
77 posts

Susan, we traveled by bus (Marozzi or Curreri, whichever is running) from Rome to Sorrento in April 2010 and will be doing so again this spring. It departs from the Tiburtina bus station in Rome and goes straight to Sorrento in about 4 hours, arriving smack in the middle of town, where the train and bus stations are adjacent. You stow your luggage underneath the bus and don't have to worry about it for the duration of the journey. We opted for this routing rather than the train as we didn't want to have to transfer at Naples, with all that that implies. The bus is a large coach, very comfortable and costs 18 euros one way. In Sorrento we stayed at the Hotel Antiche Mura and again, will be returning for a longer stay this April. The hotel is within walking distance of the train and bus, making it very easy to use Sorrento as a base for day trips to Pompeii, the Amalfi coast, etc. The Antiche Mura has lovely grounds including a pool (not sure when you are going- perhaps the pool won't be relevant!) set within a lemon grove, and a fabulous buffet breakfast (not all our Italian breakfasts were so delicious on several trips to many different hotels in Italy...). I would think this hotel would be terrific for a family (we had an annex room with enormous bathroom and a patio, beautifully furnished). Hope this helps! We loved Sorrento as a base, even if there aren't many "sights" to see in town. Great for strolling in the evenings, great shopping, and "la dolce vita" in general. Have a great time!

Posted by
8158 posts

AirBnB.com, Hotels.com and Venere.com are great hotel websites for Italy. Like was said earlier, Tripadvisor.com can give you some hotel names to look for. A little internet work can often save you some money on a room. FYI: The train trip from Rome to Naples is about 150 miles, and the trains run very frequently. They're also inexpensive.

Posted by
32212 posts

susan, Regarding Hotels in Sorrento, I'd suggest having a look at the Italy Guidebook or Trip Advisor. Website addresses are provided in the Guidebook, so you'll be able to check online to see which one best fits your criteria for a family. Roberto provided an excellent step-by-step guide on how to get to Sorrento from Rome. A few notes regarding the Circumvesuviana. It's a commuter train so doesn't have the same "modern" appearance as the Freccia trains, as shown in THIS photo. However, they will get you to Sorrento. Also note that there are several lines on the Circumvesuviana. Sorrento is the last stop on that line. Be sure to wear a Money Belt and watch your luggage on the Circumvesuviana, as it has a bit of a "reputation". Happy travels!