Please sign in to post.

Solo Travel to Italy from 16.08.2016 (07 nights 08 days)

Hello guys,

I am travelling alone from Pakistan and have planned italy vacations as it was always on my to-do list. I plan on landing on August 16, 2016 to Rome. I am planning 03 nights in Italy and then head to amalfi coast and stay 02 nights in Positano before heading for 02 nights in Venince.

I would be greatful if you can help me how easily and cheaply (Kindly give details) I can reach Positano and also how easily and cheaply I can reach Venice from Positano (give details please).

I am very confused regarding how to reach positano from rome and then leaving for venice from positano.

I would be glad if i can be advised and get help for my trip.

My planned itinerary is as follow:

Reaching Rome 16.08.2016 (03 nights)

Leaving rome for Positano 19.08.2016 (02 nights)

Leaving Positano for Venice 21.08.2016 (02 nights)

Regards,
Saad from Pakistan

Posted by
251 posts

To get from Rome to Positano, you will need to take a train from the Termini (train station) to Naples. Them, from Naples you take the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento, then take a bus, taxi or private transfer to Positano. You could also take a private transfer from the Naples train station to Positano, but that may be a little more expensive than the bus.

Positano to Venice will take a good half-day if not more. It may be better to add an extra day to Rome and Positano instead of going to Venice. Or, you could start your trip in Venice and work your way down to Positano. Venice --> Rome --> Positano?

Posted by
11333 posts

Hello Saad. Are you flying out of Venice?

Positano is a bit of a trek for only 2 nights. You take the high-speed train from Rome to Salerno, then the bus from Salerno to Amalfi, changing in Amalfi to the bus between Amalfi & Positano. Alternatively, you can take the high-speed train to Naples then the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento and a bus from Sorrento to Positano. If you make your reservations on the high-speed train ASAP, there are discounts. You can reserve here. The buses and Circumvesuviana do not require pre-purchase.

To go to Venice you reverse your trip as above and book a high-speed train from either Salerno or Naples to Venice. You will have to change trains in Rome for this portion. Again, book in advance for discounts. It is a long trip from Positano to Venice.

Do you have Rick Steves' guide to Italy? There is a lot of info on connections via rail and bus that yop might find useful while traveling as well as in the planning.

Posted by
3112 posts

You are asking about the easiest and least expensive travel options. For the Rome to Positano trip, look into pre-purchasing a Super Economy ticket from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale (currently about 20 euro), then taking the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento and a bus to Positano (both are relatively inexpensive). Allow at least 4 hours for the trip, and keep in mind that the Super Economy ticket cannot be changed once purchased.

Unfortunately, there’s no inexpensive way to get to Venice by train on 21 August. It’s a Sunday during the peak vacation period for Italians, so the least expensive train tickets are already gone. Your easiest option is to backtrack to Napoli Centrale and then take a high-speed train to Venezia Santa Lucia. Some trains will require a change, probably in Rome, but a few may be direct. There might be bus service from Naples to Venice that would be less expensive, but I’m not familiar with that option and there are often fewer or no buses on Sundays. As others have pointed out, the trip from Positano to Venice is long. It’s likely to take at least 8 hours even with the best connections.

Posted by
16893 posts

Have you already reserved hotels in these locations? If you don't yet have a reservation in Positano, it might be hard to get in August. Consider sleeping in Sorrento, instead, to have a little bit faster train connections (no bus needed) on your travel days with luggage. Then you could explore the Amalfi coast by bus on your full day there.

Posted by
5 posts

Hey guys,

Thank you for your amazing help. I initially planned for Rome, Florence and Venice but I really want to see positano and amalfi coast. As I have come to know from your advice and information that going to Venice from amalfi would take my half day at least so I am thinking of changing my plans. Do you think is it right if I cancel both Florence and Venice and instead spend 4 nights in Rome and 3 nights for amalfi or positano ?

Is it worth missing both Florence and Venice ( Kindly note that I am not a big art or architecture fan also ) I like to roam around, explore markets, love eating new food and love the beach.

Your recommendation can change my itinerary.

Regards,
Saad

Posted by
27138 posts

I especially love Venice, but the Amalfi area is wonderful, too, and I think you'd be very smart to change your plans. Fighting geography is usually costly in terms of time or money, or both. But check on hotels now. That's a very popular area.

Posted by
251 posts

I think it would be a good idea to stay 4 nights in Rome and 3 in Positano or Amalfi. That will cut down on a lot of travel time and give you more time to explore! Rome has great markets and is a wonderful town to walk around, and of course, Amalfi has beautiful beaches!

Then you will have to go back to Italy again to see Florence & Venice!

Posted by
15819 posts

I'll agree with the others that changing your plan is a very good idea. You're going to enjoy yourself so much more if not having to spend so much of your time changing locations. Venice and Florence can wait until next time!

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you guys for the help,

Just posting last few set of questions as I have decied to cut on the travel time.

I just want to ask that if after landing in rome on 16.08.2016 around 9:30 am I directly take a train to amalfi coast for 03 nights till i:e 16, 17 and 18 and make my way back to rome on 19.08.2016 and again spend 03 ngihts and leave for venice on 22.08.2016 and spend one night in venice and leave for my next destination that is UK from venice airport on the 23.08.2016. Is this itinerary sounds economic viable and doable.

Also please inform me where to stay in amalfi coast like I am confused there is Positano, surrento and other places. Where is the best place for me to stay so that i can move easily on foot and via bus and cover different areas in amalfi from morning till evening. I am travelling alone so I will try to book cheap accomodation.

Finally will I have to get train tickets again for my way back to rome or I can book one round trip when i travel on 16.08.2016 from rome to amalfi and can I purchase the tickets from train station in rome. Also I will only be carrying a small bag for my entire trip so luggage part is not a problem.

I am thankful till now for your help and I would be greatful if you can clear my understanding on the above questions.

Regards,
Saad Iqbal

Posted by
5 posts

Hello guys,

Sorry for bothering too much but I am both excited and confused. So I did some research and I think I can do this.

16.08.2016: Reach Rome at 9:30 am
Same day take bus and with a four hour ride I can reach amalfi coast.

I will stay in amalfi coast for 3 nights before returning back to Rome.

The last question is where should I base my camp ? Should I stay in positano ? Sorrento ? Amalfi or other place. As I am travelling solo so I will look for cheaper accommodation. I just want to stay at the place where I can have access to different coast easily via bus and where beach is nearby. I have heard spree to at this time would be very touristy and it's a big town.

As per my research I think amalfi would be a good option to stay 3 nights and then during the day via public transport see surrento , positano and other places.

Then again I will leave for Rome via bus on 19.08.2016.

I need your advice as soon as possible as I have to finalise my amalfi coast itinerary and book the accommodation then at earliest.

Also inform me about the bus schedule and cost along with duration from Rome to amalfi coast.

Looking forward to your help,
Regards,
Saad from Pakistan