Please sign in to post.

Solo travel in Italy

Hi all. New to forum and travelling in Europe. I'm spending 6 days at Cook In Tuscany and would like to move on to Florence for 2 days then Rome for 2 or 3 days. I'm traveling alone (66 yr sassy lady). Suggestions on hotels, transportation and tours would be helpful. I'm at Cook in Tuscany (Montofollonico) 9/29-10/4. I'll probably fly into Florence so could get there early to do 2 days there; then onto Montofollonico then Rome. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by
32206 posts

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure what you're referring to as "Cook"? Could you elaborate?

It's very easy to travel solo in Italy, but of course good planning and preparation are important. I'm also a 60+ solo traveller and have had many good trips all over Europe.

It would help to know which country you're flying from? A few thoughts....

• as this is your first trip to Europe, I would highly recommend reading Europe Through The Back Door prior to your trip. You should be able to find a copy at your local library. That provides a lot of good information on "how" to travel well in Europe and covers things like money issues, avoiding pickpockets, travel with technology, etc.
  • you might also want to have a look at the RS Italy guidebook as that has lots of information about sightseeing, hotels, restaurants and avoiding queues at attractions.
  • be sure to have a good travel medical insurance policy. Trip interruption and baggage insurance is optional.
  • are you planning to travel with a cell phone? That makes like easier, and is (IMO) essential for solo travel. Check with your home cell network for the cost of international roaming plans.
  • it's very easy to get around Italy using the local trains and buses, but there are some important caveats to be aware of. I believe that's covered in the guidebooks but if you need more information post another note here.
  • you might consider buying a Moneybelt for some protection against pickpockets. You can obtain those from the travel store on this website or at any travel store.

I'm sure the others will have lots of comments to add.

Posted by
4573 posts

If you have any interest in art or gardens, I would recommend a few more days in Florence. Also, depending where you are coming from, the first day or so will be difficult due to jetlag. If you atre a seasoned independent solo traveler, tours aren't really needed for Florence or Rome. Florence is quite compactand you can get around easily on foot or local transport. Personally,I think Rome needs a few more days too, but decision is yours.
There are many day tours in both cities. Walksmof Italy seems well recommended here, I tend to just do my own thing and use audioguides for sites.
Clearly, cooking is of interest. What other interests do you have? It can help us make some more relevant recommendations.
Typically train travel is most practical for Italy but your cooking vacation is in the moddle of nowhere. Driving is faster with busses second. Do they offer a car transfer option or pickup from a train station?

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks for the response so quickly.
I am coming from Denver Colorado. Don't have air reservations yet. Still wading thru info and need to make decisions on places to stay and timing. I will go to library and book store tomorrow and then can decide with your help.
I love beautiful gardens, fountains, hiking, anything outside. Enjoy art but not well versed in it. Would love to see Vatican.
You mentioned audio guides. How do I get that? Yes I am travelling with cell and will check into medical and travel insurance (credit card might have this)
I am ok going it alone for the most kart but was thinking a group trips would be nice for meeting people.
Any ideas on where to stay in Florence and Rome? I'm budget conscience but safety first.

Hope that helps look forward to hearing more from you fellow travellers!

Posted by
18 posts

Oh and BTW, Cook in Tuscany is a cooking school. Staying in a villa called la chiusa.

Posted by
15582 posts

Your plans are for 2 days, 3 days. You need to count nights. When you move to a new place, you lose about half a day. You have to pack, check out, get to the train station with enough time to find and board your train and be sure to buy your ticket in advance , lines can be long, even at the machines. Then you still have to get to your new hotel and check and drop off your luggage before you do anything else.

Posted by
284 posts

Try and figure out air reservations first. I have found flying into and out of Rome was much cheaper ($300 difference) than Florence. Train connections make Rome an easy place to base for a RT ticket if budget is a concern.

Check out RoadScholar, formerly Elderhostels, as they may have a program that can be of interest after your cooking class.

Posted by
4573 posts

When I mentioned audio guides, I rent the ones at the particular sites. Rick has free audio guides for a number of places as an app.
There is some practicality of looking at return flights from one place but you then need to factor in time and costs to get to Florence. If flights to Rome are substantially lower, maybe go right to your cooking class then to Florence and then Rome. Several options.
As to where to stay, it will depend on budget, interests and type of lodgings you want. I like budget apartments but that don't suit everyone. I also don't know full on organized tours of only two or three days unless they are add ons to longer tours. What about a private guide?

Posted by
124 posts

I second the Road Scholar recommendation, depending on how much time you have.

For reasonably priced accommodations in Florence, we've stayed at Hotel Casci -- Very centrally located, family-run. You can also check out monasterystays.com. for both Florence and Rome.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've been reading RS Backdoor to Europe and his Italy guidebook. I'm driving myself nuts. I am trying to work out an itinerary and am wondering from a single woman standpoint (I'm not a scardy cat but want to be safe), am I crazy to hop train from Chiusa to Sienna and Assisi then move to Cinque Terre by train then back to Florence to go home? Can I safely get rooms in Cinque Terre since it's a busier location than the other two. Honestly, I wish I had more time but I think I'll have to arrive 27/09 - spend a day in Florence,
then on to Chiusa for cooking school to start 29/09 thru 05/10. (I'm waiting to hear what time I'll be picked up Chiusa train station on 29th.
Leave Chiusa for Sienna - stay overnight to visit Assisi as well (also waiting for drop off time at train station on 09/10)
Leave Sienna 07/10 and head to Cinque Terre until 09/10
Be in Florence for flight out.
If I had to skip something would it be Sienna/Assisi or Cinque Terre?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted by
1206 posts

As a solo woman traveler about your age who has been to Italy several times in the last several years, here are my few thoughts: If you are budget conscious, take a look at arriving in Rome and then immediately taking a train to Florence. I've done that multiple times; it's a 30" train from Rome airport to Rome Termini station, then less than 2 hours by fast train ("freccia") to Florence. The price difference from the US to Rome is usually several hundred dollars less than flying into Florence, plus there is usually an extra flight to get to Florence from [somewhere in Europe where you first arrive from the US]. You could also limit the number of your hotel/city moves by landing in Rome and going directly to Florence; then Assisi/Siena; then Cook; then Rome and fly out of Rome (or do Assisi after Cook and then go to Rome). You mentioned Rome in your first post....Next: I'd definitely drop Cinque Terre and keep Assisi/Siena. I love Assisi; it's very walkable, beautiful, and just breathtaking. and with your very limited number of days, Cinque Terre presents multiple challenges - weather, crowds, getting there. Finally: Strongly suggest you download the "Rick Steves Audio Europe" free app onto your phone. There are a number of extremely well-done audio tours that you can download from the app (for example: 5 separate ones for museums and walks in Florence).

Posted by
18 posts

Oh thank you jmauldinuu. I was feeling concerned about CT trip for the very reason you mentioned. I think I'm going to skip the tour of Rome, other than maybe a day before I go home - seems like a lot my first trip and not really my top priority. Tuscany has been a long time dream and I want to enjoy the people, food and landscape, places of worship. I love walking and gardens, etc. Don't want to rush it. Rome could be another trip.
So just want to be sure I understand your "flow". Land in Rome and take train to Florence same day - Shd I stay in Florence overnight and take train to Sienna and/or Assisi. Can I do both cities in one day (meaning Sienna/Assisi) - seems like from what I've read I don't want to do that. That said would you suggest train from Florence to Sienna on my first day and stay in Sienna (any recommendations) for 2 days 1 night then train to Chiusa for Cooking. I think then I would go to Florence for 1 night and return to Rome for trip home. Am I making sense? Missing something?
Thanks for helping me clear my mind thru this maze.

Posted by
7283 posts

Hi, welcome to the forum! I've traveled several times to Europe, but last year was my first solo vacation trip, planned to celebrate my retirement. I was in Italy for three weeks and had a fabulous time! The following is my trip report that I will share with you, mainly for the comments about changes I made because I was traveling solo and also to get you excited for your trip!

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/solo-trip-to-italy-2018

Posted by
7283 posts

Here's some thoughts with your itinerary. If you're coming from Rome, Orvieto is a nice option for your jet lag day.

Sept. 27 - Arrive in Rome. Take the 1.5 hour train to Orvieto
Sept. 28 - Day at Orvieto; get over jet lag and enjoy that you're in Italy!

Sept. 29 - Take the 30 minute train to Chiusi
Sept. 29-Oct 5 - Cooking class (I'm assuming they are taking you to see Montepulciano since you are so close)
Oct. 5 - Take the 2-hr bus to Siena through Tuscany
Oct. 6 - Siena
Oct. 7 - Take the 1-hour bus to Florence
Oct. 8-9 - Florence
Fly home

If you have any extra days, take the fast train from Florence to Rome, and definitely take some days to see Rome.

Posted by
18 posts

Jean you are awesome! I am so excited and seeing so many women have traveled solo and enjoyed it makes me so glad I made the decision to go.
I love the reports and tips you gave and the add ons others have shared. There's a lot to think about and I want to get this scheduled so I can get airline tkts then hotels and events set up. I'm enjoying the process.
Jean, the cooking class will do truffle hunting, we go into Pienza, Cortona and Montepulciano. So I'll get around a bit with others

Posted by
7283 posts

For some of the best gelato, and I’ve tried a lot of them! When you are in Pienza, go to Buon Gusto Gelateria - amazing flavors, and he’s really friendly. It’s located at Via Case Nuove, 26. He sits out orange chairs when it’s open.

You’re going to a beautiful area! Please share a trip report when you’re back. I’m interested to hear about how you enjoyed your cooking class.

Posted by
4573 posts

You can also use a website like Rome2rio to plot your trip from A to B to C for some transport options, travel times and backtracking. Your Cook location is not public transport friendly (from an efficient perspective). Ask whether they arrange shuttles and from where.
Before all this, I would be looking at matrix ita for flight pricing and routes from a few places. It is the orginal flight building website the travel agents used, so no buying tickets off it but a strkng search engine.
Try flights to Milan, Rome and Florence. Try 'multi-city' for flights into Florence, out Milan or some combination. You need to balance a couple hundred dollars savings with the additional in-country travel, new train system, new language and jet lag.

Posted by
18 posts

I so live this forum. Everyone is so helpful. Jean I will definitely share my experience when I get back.
Maria thanks for advise on finding flights. I'll check that out.
Again thanks all!
Hugs from Paula

Posted by
4573 posts

Paula, I am a little younger than you but balancing solo travel, working and maintaining a house and garden. Suddenly, the juggle is harder and my 3 weeks of independent travel is taking its toll. I am having to revisit how I travel in order to not be exhausted when I get back. For me, it is rarely worth trying to save a bit of money on airfare if it consumes a lot of ground time doing some alternate travel to get where I want to be. Now, I live in a place that has very very few direct flights to major cities, so am used to having to do a stop enroute. One more to that is acceptable. I added on a flight from Madrid to Granada one time that was a 1 hour flight, but a 3 hour layover and a 3rd airplane ride of the total trip, cost $80Cdn. As a trade off, didn't have to transport into town, find the train station, go through security there and then a 5 hour train ride. Worth it for me - and would be even at $200 (train fare in Spain isn't always cheap and more costly if flight delays mean you miss the train).
It takes some legwork, but those websites mentioned can help you see your alternatives.

Posted by
18 posts

HELLO all. I'm totally confusing myself trying to figure out flights, trains, hotels etc. I'm sure I'm making it more complicated than I need to. With regard to airlines, seems fares change daily making me unsure of weather to book now or wait for a better deal. What has been everyone's experience with that? My trip is scheduled for 9/27 leave Denver for Rome then out of Florence for Denver on 10/8. Suggestions????

Posted by
32206 posts

phencke,

How close are you to Denver? You may find it helpful to attend the next meeting of the Denver RS group, as the helpful group there will be able to help you work out all the minute details. Here's some information on the meetings - https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/travel-meetings/denver-travel-group-meeting-june-15 .

Have you got your flights to & from Italy booked yet? Also, are you planning to use the suggested Itinerary posted earlier in this thread? With more details on your trip, it would be easier to offer more suggestions.

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks for your response ken. I was planning on getting TKTS today. I will definitely make the July mtg in Denver. I'm in Conifer which is not too far. That will help a ton. Yes I'm hoping to follow suggested itinerary and having help with fine tuning would be great. Can we keep in touch or is there someone here locally?didn't know you had regular mtgs here or I would have gone to June mtg. So glad you told me about it. I love this group! You all are so helpful

Posted by
18 posts

So, been thinking all morning about my itinerary - it's a lot of time and energy to plan your own trip. Since this is my first trip ever to Italy, Europe for that matter, would I be better off getting help from a travel agent? All you solo travellers, could let me know, was your first solo trip also your first trip?

Posted by
208 posts

Hi,

I was in Italy solo for 2 weeks in May of this year. It was my first time to Italy. I planned everything myself using this site, Rick's guidebook, YouTube etc but these were 3 big ones. I started planning 1 year before my trip. But, I'm a planner and love doing the research & plotting my itinerary.

If you have never traveled in Europe by train I highly recommend the man in seat 61 website. Trains can be confusing but it's a fabulous site.

Figure your starting & ending location out first & get your airfare. Essentially you fill in the blanks in between arriving & departing. That's what I did anyways.

Posted by
85 posts

With regard to airlines, seems fares change daily making me unsure of weather to book now or wait for a better deal. What has been everyone's experience with that? My trip is scheduled for 9/27 leave Denver for Rome then out of Florence for Denver on 10/8. Suggestions????

You can do this! I know it seems overwhelming at first, but it will get easier. You're about 3 months out from your trip and I would say you probably want to get this booked sooner rather than later. There could be some unexpected fare sale in the next few weeks but it's impossible to know and you can drive yourself crazy trying to predict what will happen.

Are you committed to a particular airline? If not, here's what I typically do: go to google.com/flights and put in your dates and cities - use Multi-city, so your roundtrip flight is on one ticket. Pick the in and outbound flights you like and then tick the little box that says Track Prices on the total page - it will send you alerts when the fare changes and you'll also be able to see the fare history of your particular route. If history shows your flight is trending upward (likely at this point), book right away. If it's still steady, then you have a little time but I wouldn't wait, personally. Google flights will also give you a link to book directly with the airline - I personally prefer this method over booking with a 3rd party like Expedia. Booking directly with the airline means it's THEIR responsibility to address your problems, versus Expedia's if you book through them, and they're likely more hamstrung and less able to resolve issues quickly.

Train tickets are easy to book, and you only need to book them in advance if you're taking a fast train (likely between Rome and Florence. There is no savings if you book a regional train in advance.

Hope that helps - come back with other questions!

Posted by
18 posts

Katherine 215 thanks for your advice and confidence. I booked airline so that's set. I'm not going to do so much. Will spend 3 days in Florence on back end and take day trips into sienna, Assisi and spend some time in Florence.
Arriving Florence 9/28 mid day. Need hotel still.
9/29 train Florence to Chiusi for pick up at train station at 2pm by cooking school van.
9/29- 10/5 at cooking school
10/5 van @ 9:15 am to Chiusi train station for return to Florence. No room accommodations set yet.
While in Florence I'll visit statue of David, art museum etc -dont have a plan on this yet.
Also want to bus or train to sienna and Assisi. Is that a one day trip or 2?
Thinking if I home base in Florence and travel by day I'll feel a little more comfortable first time around.
The challenge of this trip is so exciting but I'm also a little wary since I'm so new at this.
Just discovered RS meetings in Denver every month. Will attend July mtg for sure. Just missed the June mtg.
My next trip will be planned further in advance and I'm going to bring my daughter, maybe grandkids too. We'll see.
Anyhow that's where I'm at.
Arrive Florence at 12:30 on on 28th
Flight out of Florence on the 8th leaves at 10am
Whew! Do excited

Posted by
85 posts

Congratulations! You're on your way! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.

Your first day, you'll likely want to take it easy - maybe try RS's Renaissance Walk; there's an audioguide in his app, too, which is nice - feels like he's talking to you while you walk so you're not quite alone. Familiarize yourself with the city and of course have some gelato (Perche No? is my favorite in Florence). Depending on where you're staying and when your train leaves for the cooking school, you might fit in a visit to David the next day - most people are there about an hour at most, I think

Also want to bus or train to sienna and Assisi. Is that a one day trip or 2?

Definitely bus to Siena - the train station is not very centrally located in Siena so it's easier to take the bus. In Florence, the station is right next door to the train station. I bought my ticket day-of; here is the schedule. I loved Siena and spent a whole day there. I did not visit Assisi, but I think it would be two separate trips. Otherwise, you're looking at approximately 5 hours of travel alone, which doesn't leave much time for seeing the cities if you try to do them in one day. You might save Assisi for a return visit and do it as a day trip from Rome.

Posted by
18 posts

Hi again everyone. I'm wondering how I find out bout a RS group meeting in Denver area. I had some info a while back about a meeting at Panerra in Littleton Colorado. Not finding any contact info to see if the group is still meeting. Thanks

Posted by
11 posts

I am a 70 year old solo traveler currently in Italy for almost 3 months. It is the easiest European travel with the exception of English speaking countries.

I have a few go-to’s.
1) I buy a one-way ticket to Europe based solely on pricing. With cheap international European airlines like Norwegian and Condor and purchase 3 to 4 months In advance or out of season and it’s an amazing bargain. Since I am an impulsive wanderer, when I am winding down I just book the cheapest return flight I can find. Ryan Air and Vueling are intra-European airlines that can make quick cheap connections to European hubs.
2). Go slowly. There’s no reason to rush anywhere when you’re on your own time. My mantra: the more you look, the more you see. Your eyes will be opened, but you must take the time to look.
3). If you can get there, you can get away. I can’t tell you the number of wrong way trains and metros and buses I’ve managed to get on. And yet here I am and mostly all I have are funny stories. If all else fails, get out that back up credit card tucked in the money belt in your underwear and check into a hotel to regroup. I’ve never had to, but it’s a comfort to have a backup plan.
4). I use a couple of very reliable sites for accommodations. Hotels.com, Agoda and Airbnb. It takes a bit of practice, but my strategy is to stay where public transportation is walkable, whatever that means for you. I use the accommodation address and google maps and it’s a miracle compared to 30 years ago when all you had was yelling touts and crooked cabs.

5). Therefore I do not need the current $30 guidebook because I get real time info from my cell phone. TripAdvisor is another good App for finding food and activities. I buy guides from my local used book store or eBay (always Rick Steves with excellent walking tour maps and even a Venice Canal ferry guide map!).
6). Practice long walks with google nav app and Microsoft for a less reliable backup. Google even covers trails in northern Spain. It will give you the location, time and frequency of trains and buses. You will never regret getting really really good with this App. It has a shadow arrow that will point you in the right direction.

7). I use T-mobile and been very happy with it. It messages me with a Welcome to Germany as I cross the border. Calls to the US are $.25 a minute and texts are free. Pinpoints (more or less) your location and follow the dot to the museum, train station or supermercado with Google nav App. It’s become essential for this wanderer.
8). Always carry a spare battery (pocket juice) and cable for your cell. They’re small and cheap. Also remember that outlets vary between counties and even within the same house! Pack conversion kits and have them handy on trains and buses as you can occasionally get a recharge.
9). Pack hardly anything at all. There are street markets with bargain clothes, $2 umbrellas appear on the street when it rains, and Europeans wear knit tops and leggings to the opera even at La Scala just like we do.

10). Safety: I never and I mean never get drunk when I travel alone. I just don’t use alcohol. If I have to walk at night, like back from an opera, I research the area and often reserve a nearby hotel room in addition to my Airbnb for safety.

11). There’s more, but finally, find what you love to do and do it. If you love to swim, it will feel like a peak experience at Lake Como looking up at the mountains and villas. I love opera and visiting the great opera houses of Europe is a thrill. Fall in love with the Acropolis and search down the missing (stolen) statues in London. Chase down Dali.

No one will deny you your slightest whim. Do it all or nothing at all. You only have yourself to thank or blame.

We old gals are really something, aren’t we?

Posted by
18 posts

Gloria; great advice all around. Thx so much for sharing what you've learned. I'm hoping to become a seasoned traveller by the time I'm 70. 4 yrs to go!

So much to see and do!

Posted by
616 posts

It takes two hours from Florence to Assisi with a change in Terontola-Cortona which is also a very nice village worth seeing.
Both Siena and Assisi need a full day. trip.
It is a one hour bus from Florence to Siena by bus.

Posted by
98 posts

Try not to do too much. I stayed in Florence for 5 days and it's a nice small city and there was enough to fill at least 2 days. I did a day-trip to Siena via bus and it really did take the entire day, and I came back to sleep in Florence. It's best not to plan to do too much since it increases stress and it takes time to orientate yourself and to figure out how to buy tickets, etc. In Europe, it's possible to have a lot of fun just walking around because the setting is so historic.

As a solo traveller, try to travel lighter if possible. Getting on and off trains/buses and going to the bathroom is more awkward without a companion so it's best to have less to lug around.