Please sign in to post.

Small towns near Rome

Hello. Looking for suggestions on smaller cities to visit near Rome. We plan on flying into Rome, and we would like to take the train to a city other than Rome. We have visited Rome many times, now we are looking for a more authentic, local experience. Thank you in advance for your suggestions

Posted by
7346 posts

Orvieto, north of Rome, is a hilltown that was an Etruscan city long before the Roman civilization. It’s easily reached by train from Rome.

Tivoli, east of Rome, is initially where the emperor Hadrian built a spectacular palace complex (now a very interesting archaeological site), and is today an authentic community. We reached it via bus from Rome.

Posted by
6292 posts

This may not be what you are looking for (and you possibly may have already gone there) but my favorite day trip from Rome was to Ostia Antica - it's about a 30 minute train ride from Rome and the entire setting is a delight. Ostia is a large archaeological site that is the location of the harbour city of ancient Rome. It was covered in silt from the Tiber River over 1000 years ago, and discovered in the 1800's, so it is relatively intact. Some of the ruins go back to the 4th century BC. There are many ancient buildings, magnificent frescoes and beautiful mosaics. It was probably one of my favorite places I visited in Rome.

There is a park nearby where you can bring a picnic lunch and sit and enjoy the beautiful setting also. I highly recommend visiting Ostia. The link above is the official website, but this site is worth a visit as it has a lot of information about the archeology and the historic town. https://www.ostia-antica.org

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey jstubbs68
visitcastelliromani.com
withlocals.com/ rome
beautiful countryside day trip: castelli romani
contact pierpaolo, pickup is in frascati but if you decide to stay there he can pick you up at hotel and make arrangements
wanderingitaly.com/ castelli romani
summer home & gardens of the pope
italymagazine.com/ lake nemi and its wild berry
lacucinaitaliana.com/ the buxom cookie from frascati
20-30 minute train ride from roma termini to frascati, out in the country known for it's wine.
saw a special on TV about ceralli.it, small pizza oven/bakery family owned, makes the "best porchetta"
oldfrascati.com
read up about the tours, about them and their blog in their small village away from hustle & bustle of rome.
stay in a hotel on lake nemi or a hotel in the small town of frascati. enjoy
aloha

Posted by
27092 posts

Orvieto has an unusual number of sightseeing options for a not-large city, and it's very picturesque. It also gets a lot of tourist traffic--much of it Italian. I suspect it may be a bit quieter on weekdays than on weekends, but I have no statistics to back that up.

Viterbo has a large historic area and far, far fewer tourists. I think it would be a good place to get away from the mobs, but the density of attractions in Orvieto makes it special.

Posted by
620 posts

Yo JS,
Not so much a small town, but still eminently worthy: Ninfa Gardens.
I am done. the end

Posted by
467 posts

We also enjoyed our two day stay in Orvieto. I think there were 9 places to see on their travel
Pass and we saw 8. Lots to see for a small town. Good food & wine too. We had a private guide for a two hour tour and she really gave us great insight.

Posted by
27092 posts

Travel passes in small cities are often good deals. Those for major cities, not so much (in my experience).