Please sign in to post.

Skip the Line Tours

I've been booking some of these, but have noticed the prices are pretty steep. I've been using Viator. Wondered if they're worth what they're charging.

Posted by
308 posts

Viator is a tour consolidator so there will be a slight upcharge when booking through VIator compared to booking with the actual tour company. The name of the tour company is oftentimes on the Viator page. You should check if the actual site itself offers its own guided tours.. It is more economical. For instance, the Vatican Museum and Colosseum offer their own tours at a fraction of 3rd party tour operators. At the colosseum, you skip the line by pre- purchasing your ticket online or by using the Roma Pass. The Vatican tour includes admission already so you skip the line.

Posted by
4152 posts

You don't need to take a tour of the Vatican museums in order to skip the lines. You can purchase entry tickets from the official website which allows you to skip the lines. Same with the colosseum. Viator is a consolidator and therefore, marks up the prices.

Donna

Posted by
693 posts

Jackie is extremely charitable to say Viator have a 'slight upcharge'. To give one example, the Secret Itineraries tour at the Doges Palace is 20euro when booked through the official website. The SAME tour is $61usd when booked on Viator. I could go on.

Posted by
4152 posts

Oh, come on mph, it's only about three times the normal cost. That's not much of a markup........ ;-)

Donna

Posted by
308 posts

Wow, that is a huge profit for Viator. I didn't check on the Doge's Palace tour, but when looking at City Wonders Tours offered through Viator, I recall it being a 5-10% markup.