Please sign in to post.

skiing in the Dolomites

We've wanted to ski in the Dolomites for years and are always constrained by school schedules. It's a possibility this year. In general, what are conditions like after Christmas through the first week of January? I realize every year can be different but given the holiday period, we can't wait to make reservations. Also, flying into Milan it looks like taking a bus is our best transportation option since we don't want to rent a car. Are there direct ski resort buses to/from MXP during the ski season? Thank you

Posted by
19656 posts

I've skied there several times over the least 20 years, mostly 3rd or 4th week of January and once in early December.

The January trips were all fine, able to do the Sella Ronda each time, staying in either Canazei, Selva di Gardena, or Madonna di Campiglio. The December trip had early season conditions, with a lucky 6" snowfall the night we arrived in Madonna. It was only about 50% open in the highest areas, but skiable. Later we went to Selva, which was also about 50% open with some pretty good skiing. Note that the last trip was to Madonna in late January and there was virtually no natural snow, but the snow-making facilities had it open 100% with good skiing on man-made snow.

Highly recommend staying in Selva to be close to the best conditions. Visit Ortisei for wonderful Christmas market and Christmas lighting.

I don't know about bus service from MXP. You might contact the Val Gardena tourist office to check, Otherwise, train from MXP to Milano Centrale, then train to Verona Porta Nuova, then train to Bolzano, then bus to Selva.

Posted by
11247 posts

train from MXP to Milano Centrale, then train to Verona Porta Nuova, then train to Bolzano, then bus to Selva.

Sam is spot on. You can also take a taxi from Bolzano to the valley. We do that every year in the fall and pay EURO 90.00 for the one-way trip from Bolzano to Ortisei. We like not having to schlep our luggage on and off the bus plus being dropped right at the door of our lodging is nice. Your hotel can advise you on taxis.

Posted by
82 posts

Thanks for the great information. For ease of travel, we've heard that bringing your own ski boots and clothes and then renting skis/poles is the way to go.