Please sign in to post.

Sistine Chapel only

In my research so far, it appears that you need to purchase tickets for the Vatican Museums to access the Sistine Chapel. My husband and I have been there before and are traveling this time with our young adult children. We want to see St Peters (no admission fee) and Sistine, but skip Vatican Museums. Do we just need to purchase the V Museums tickets and proceed straight to Sistine, or is there another way?

Posted by
11613 posts

You need to purchase the Museum ticket but once inside you may go directly to the Sistine Chapel. There are directional signs and a marked, short visit route.

Posted by
15848 posts

Yes, the Sistine is part of the museums, and it's also at the furthest end of them from the entrance. To visit, you have to purchase the same tickets as you would if visiting the greater collection although you can choose to walk directly to the chapel and skip the rest.

You may have a bit of a wait at the entrance to the chapel, however. They only allow so many inside at a time so people have to rotate out before others can be let in.

Posted by
9 posts

Any suggestions for best tours of the Vatican & Sistine Chapel - either group or private?

Posted by
251 posts

Last summer I got advanced tickets to the Vatican Museums and arrived around 11:00 am. Our main focus was the Sistine Chapel, so we walked through all the other exhibits with the crowd of people until we arrived at the Chapel. It took us about 40 minutes to walk through but that's because there was a lot of tour groups that day.

Posted by
15848 posts

Yes, I would definitely recommend purchasing tickets in advance.