Please sign in to post.

Sistine Chapel

Any tips on seeing the Sistine Chapel?
Private after hour tours?
Any tips/advice is appreciated.
Thx!

Posted by
11362 posts

Walks of Italy does a very early “Pristine Sistine” tour which gets you in with a relatively small crowd. Best I know of.

Posted by
317 posts

Get an early entry time to the Vatican Museums. Once you enter walk directly to the Sistine Chapel, which is quite far. You'll be rewarded with being alone (or close to it) in the Sistine Chapel. Also, as you make your way there, you will get to enjoy the Rafael Rooms alone too. Be careful not to exit the Sistine Chapel on the St. Peter's side. Just backtrack the way you came in and see the rest of the museums after the Sistine Chapel. I have done this a few times and its worth the extra walking. Good luck.

Posted by
39 posts

We did a walking tour that included all early entry tickets and our group size was 12 people. Tickets to everything were sold out so we had to go the guided tour route, in October everything was packed shoulder to shoulder but worth checking off my to do list. Have a great trip!

Posted by
1046 posts

A few times I took the Friday night 'Happy Hour' offer that the Vatican had. Check on their website for dates since I don't think it is offered all year. You can buy a version that just gives you access to the museum and the Sistine or you can add a 'cold supper and glass of wine' for just a little more. That would also include some very good live music.

Now the best part: most people seem to just head into the museum. After supper (which was very good by the way), I found that the crowds were much more manageable all the way through to the Chapel. I believe entry time is 7:00 or 7:30 and the exit is at 11:00pm. It isn't a secret that the guards will announce it is time to leave. I stayed right with the guards so pretty much I was the last one to leave. There were still a few more halls and exhibits to see but I wasn't rushed since the guards were busy with the people who had gotten behind them. It worked for me, hope it works for you too!

Posted by
8424 posts

I did not enjoy my time at The Sistine Chapel. We joined the crowded throng and entered the chapel where a large crowd was gathered in the center, a walkway that was kept clear by constant intervention of guards, and very limited seating on the perimeter. People struggled to find a spot to stop and “enjoy” without being moved along. Then there were the extremely loud recorded announcements “Silence, you are in a house of worship” or something along that line. It was never silent because hundreds of people were present.

If I were ever to return (doubtful) I would do everything in my power to get one of the early pre-opening or at opening tours that allows for early access.

Posted by
27217 posts

The evening hours are definitiely seasonal. They are not offering them now (alas for me).

Posted by
1626 posts

We purchased the early entry with breakfast tickets and enjoyed the chapel with a few dozen people. Sat down and listened to the entire RS audio tour and never felt rushed.

Posted by
7688 posts

I have been to see it twice, once before and once after renovation.

To me it is the most amazing place for art in the World.