Please sign in to post.

Sistine Chapel

I know that Rick mentions the company Walks of Italy in his 2012 Rome guide, but has anyone done their pristine Sistine tour? It is supposed to get you into the chapel before the crowds. Is the the tour worth 84 euros?

Posted by
4152 posts

I've not done the tour. You can buy entry tickets for first thing in the morning and go directly to the chapel. I've done this on many occasions and have been one of just a few people inside. You can buy entry tickets at the Vatican website. Donna

Posted by
38 posts

We just got back a few days ago. We took an early admission tour for 50 Euros with Italywithus - just happened to see the office near our hotel in the Vatican area - and did think it was worth it. We had so little time in Rome (only about 2 and a half days) so for sure did a few things that more sophisticated (and/or younger) travelers would not have done, but this is one thing we would not have done differently. On the other hand - had the worst tour of our lives with Green Line - so go figure.

Posted by
11339 posts

We did the Pristine Sistine tour last fall and it was worth every dime! The preview of the chapel before the hoards descended was excellent, and in our almost 4 hours we received an educational and entertaining tour of the rest of the museums's highlights.

Posted by
149 posts

We also quite enjoyed the Pristine Sistine tour. As folks who wanted to maximize our time, we were able then (the Pristine Sistine is in the morning) to have a lunch near the Vatican and return for the Scavi tour in the early afternoon.

Posted by
74 posts

I have to agree with the above posts. We did the Pristine Sistine in late June and were very satisfied. Our guide was thorough and knowledgeable, and we saw a lot of the museum. By starting out in the Sistine Chapel, we missed the huge crowd that was there when we went back through it to exit into St. Peter's. We thought it was well worth the extra cost.

Posted by
70 posts

We have booked with viator, and may be regretting it. I decided with them as they offered the tour plus transportation from the hotel oceania. Unfortunately, the Oceaniahotel staff (Rick steves recommendation) who committed to calling and arranging for a pickup time either forgot or did not pass the info on as the person Checking us in had no idea what we were talking about. So after being on the plane for about12 hours, I am not happy.
Don't know if we have a ride or not and if we take a cab to the Vatican, I am not sure how to hook up with the group

Posted by
10 posts

Just got back from Rome Sunday, and I have to say I WISH I had done that kind of a tour of the Sistine. The chapel was so crowded, even in the late afternoon, and it was very distracting to have all the people chattering and the guards shushing everyone all the time, it was one of my only big disappointments of my otherwise fabulous trip.

Posted by
203 posts

I did the ThroughEternity tour of the Vatican with early entry into the Sistine Chapel last week. It was slightly more than 84 euro pp, but worth EVERY PENNY! We were the first 10 people into the Chapel at 8:00 a.m. When we went back through it about 4 hours later, it was like fighting your way through the crowd at a football game. Awful! I would insist you consider splurging on this tour. Skimp somewhere else, but not on this.