Please sign in to post.

SIM card question

We have unlocked iPhone 5S. Where in Italy would I buy a SIM card? Will the store where I purchase it put it in and get it functioning properly? Does a SIM card include data?

What about just purchasing a pre-paid throw away phone in Italy? Will that only give you the ability to make phone calls and no data?

Sorry for these probably novice questions but a first time traveler to Italy. Grazie...Pam

Posted by
15260 posts

Please see my reply to the post below on this subject:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/smart-phone-advice-for-solo-traveler

There are 4 major cell phone providers in Italy: TIM, Vodafone, Wind, 3.
The last two just announced a merger, after which they will become the largest provider.

Each has their own stores, plus there are numerous authorized electronic stores that can provide you with everything you need for your Iphone5 (I also have the same model, unlocked, which I use every year with an Italian SIM card). You can find the location of their stores/authorized dealers in their websites. Just search: "Trova Negozio" (=find store") then zoom in the city where you intend to buy it (I presume the city where you first arrive.

The store staff will put the SIM card in for you if you wish, or you can very easily do it yourself using a paper clip.

The SIM card will include data. Go to the above linked post and I posted there two offers for foreign tourists by both Vodafone and TIM. They are the best deal for you as they include minutes to call overseas back to the US. They also include at least 2Gb of data which is plenty. The cost is €30, all inclusive.

You can also buy a cheap dumb phone in Italy or even in the US (make sure it's a GSM Quad Band unlocked phone). I'm not sure if they sell SIM card with no data nowadays. But in your case, since you already have an unlocked Iphone, just use that one. The cost of a cheap phone is still at least 30 euro. With the same amount you can buy a SIM card with the data plan I mentioned above for your Iphone.

Posted by
186 posts

I was just researching this for my old 4S. I found that Vodaphone has a deal with 300 minutes (either within Italy or to your home country - check the list), 300 SMS (texts) and 2GB of data for 30 euro. On the other hand, TIM has 100 minutes (either within Italy or to your home country - check the list) and 4GB of data for 30 euro. Not sure how texts are treated under the TIM plan. Both are for 30 days, both include the SIM card (TIM card also loaded with 5 euros), and both include the USA on their list of eligible countries. As I understand it, TIM has better coverage in some more rural areas, but both are pretty good in the cities.

Posted by
15260 posts

Where I have my country house actually Vodafone has the best (the only) coverage. So it really depends. But 95% of the country is coveted well by all.
With the Tim plan you need to purchase the SMS package separately or use the 5€ credit to pay per message.

Posted by
48 posts

There are stores everywhere. I purchased by €30 SIM in baggage claim in mapensa airport.

The sales lady did not insert the card for me, but she did supply the paper clip and I installed it when I was on the train to Salerno (it's simple. Yet removing your SIM at home so u are used to it).

The sales lady said to not install it immediately for some reason.