Please sign in to post.

sightseeing in Rome

Hi All,
My husband and I will be visiting Rome for 3 days in May. Should we buy a HOHO bus tour for sightseeing or just buy a Roma pass and commute by ourselves using buses/Metro?

Posted by
2207 posts

The Hop on - Hop Off buses may be a good way to acclimate you to the city, but now with the limited stops, they are probably not the best means to "sightsee" the city. The Roma Pass, depending in where you are staying - and how much you will use the transportation piece - can be a good buy. Rome is an easy city to walk - in the centro section - but if you are staying in Prati, Trastevere, etc. then riding the buses or metro will certainly save your legs and some valuable time! Again, much of this will depend on your starting point each day!

Posted by
267 posts

Depends on how much energy you have! My friend and I stayed at La Bella Giuliana on Via della Giuliana/Via Leone IV which is a good 15 - 20 minute walk from the Vatican (nearest metro was Ottaviano, about 10 minutes away). We walked from our place to ancient Rome and did Rick's "Night walk across Rome" on our first night. Rome was the last stop on our 16 day trip, and we had been walking/stairclimbing/etc for 11 days prior to doing this big walk; and my back was out. After that night, we found the metro and took that quite a bit, but still did a LOT of walking. It's absolutely do-able if you have the time and energy. We didn't do the hop on/hop offs, so I can't comment there; Ron is the go-to guy on that (and all things Rome, I am quite certain!).
We were in Rome for 5 days; while we saw a lot, briefly, we missed a lot, too. HO/HOs would've maybe let us see more...

Posted by
37 posts

Thanks so much Ron. Your website is a great help and answered most of my questions. I specially loved the details about the Vatican. Can you suggest some good guided tours for the Vatican and the Colloseum.
Thanks