Please sign in to post.

Sightseeing in Rome

We will be in Rome Aug 20-24 and I have some questions about touring. It will be awfully crowded during August, so we are planning to buy our tickets ahead of time for the Vatican and The Colosseum. However, when I look online, there are many different components of each place. What are the good tours to take? I am interested in the Underground tour of the Colosseum too. Does anyone have helpful hints? Are there any other "must-see" sites in Rome that we would need to purchase tickets ahead of time for?? Thank you!

Posted by
864 posts

Everyone has their list of favorites and mine includes the Galleria Borghese. There are several strategies for making a reservation/buying a ticket (see RS book on Rome). Since the Borghese and a small group tour of the Vatican are musts for me I do spring for the extra cost and buy my tickets before I leave home. www.florenceart.it for the Borghese got me the specific day and time I wanted whereas other sites did not so you need to check around to find what suits your needs. I did use Viator.com for my Skip the Line: Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel Tour. Pricy at $150 for two (2) persons but I've taken it before and it was really excellent. If you're not interested in a tour you can make a reservation for an entry time at mv.vatican.va Euro 19 - pay with credit card on line. When you go don't get in the regular ticket line, queue up at the Entrance with Reservations. Once inside go to a ticket window and exchange the voucher for a ticket. For both these sites I take a cab from my hotel as you must be early. Arrive late and you're out of luck for sure at the Borghese. Have fun!

Posted by
23547 posts

We have spent a total of three weeks in four visits to Rome over the past four years and have not make it yet to the B gallery. So much to see and do. Probably will be there this fall so maybe we can make it this time.

Posted by
17 posts

In addition to the couple of sites you note, we enjoyed just walking around Rome. We stumbled onto the Pantehon, Piazza Navona, & many charming shops without even trying. It was a really enjoyable way to spend an evening.

Posted by
61 posts

Sorry, I wasn't able to find my notes on how to book the underground tour but we did book direct with the colosseum. I thought a fellow poster, Donna, gave the best advice for how to book the underground tour. I think you can search the posts for it. I agree with Jake, we did the same and just walking around Rome is an experience. Happy travels!

Posted by
7737 posts

Be prepared for really intense heat and graffiti everywhere.