Please sign in to post.

sights in Rome

I know which sites are stated as must see, but I am not sure which ones you actually need to purchase tickets for. It is all so confusing. Such as I know there are parts of the Vatican that do not require a purchase, but most do. Can someone help me out with where purchase tickets are necessary and not?
As well is the underground of the Colosseum worth the extra money? Are hop on-hop off worth it or is public transportation the way to go?

Posted by
7839 posts

Which sites are you trying to see? St Peter's Basilica is free the Vatican Museum is not.
Public transportation and a lot of walking is the way to see Rome.

Posted by
11320 posts

Without knowing which sights you want to visit (other than the Colosseum and Vatican), it is impossible to guess which others are on your radar. This is a good situation for having a good guidebook where recommendations are made about pre-purchase and info given to help you decide if something is "worth it." Rick Steves does an excellent job of this.

Posted by
1662 posts

Hello Anita,

First, Rome is definitely a walking city and a walking outside museum at that. Beautiful architecture at every turn.

Visiting the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, you do need a ticket.

In my opinion, no, a Hop On, Hop Off is not worth the money. But, if you want, buy a couple of B.I.T. at 1,50€ each. They don't expire until you validate your first bus ---- then you are good for 100 minutes including a bus transfer. I believe the metro is only one ride on a B.I.T.

Added caution: It's important to validate your BIT right away before the bus leaves the depot or bus stop. Last year, I saw an increase of Inspectors getting on at random stops checking tickets and bus passes. Buses will be jammed. Try to make your way to a machine. If too crowded, passengers close to the machine were validating the ticket for the patron if they could not reach it at arm's length.

You could be fined on the spot if your ticket is not validated. If a machine is broken (as I experienced one time), write down the stop you got on, the time you got on, the bus number (ex. #64) you got on. Even though there was proof the machines were invalid, the inspector told me what to do if that happened again. He acknowledged that sometimes machines don't work. (He did not fine me.)

Get to know your hotel area and get buses accordingly. A lot of buses return to the Termini area depot. So, you can always use that as a guide/landmark. Bus #64 is the most popular and stops frequently where you can get off and walk to any attractions (within minutes.) Bus #40 is an express (to St. Peter's area) with fewer stops of course, but goes by some major streets. Since you don't state the area you are staying in, I don't want to confuse or give misinformation.

If this is your first trip, and you haven't done so yet, maybe read up on security money belts and cross body bags with zipped closures. Keep your valuables safe and in front of you on the bus/metro/tight areas.

If you wish to visit the Borghese Gallery, timed tickets are a must. They can be bought direct on their website. Or, if you take a guided tour, say, through The Roman Guy or Walks of Italy, then no worries; they take care of everything.

If you visit churches, no tickets are required; just special consideration and respect while in the church, i.e. dress code, camera, phone. St. Paul's (Within The Walls) has mini opera concerts at times, and those require a ticket. https://www.classictic.com/en/rome/chiesa_di_s._paolo_entro_le_mura/38/ Gorgeous!

The Pantheon is very beautiful. As of last December, no fee was required. You can stay in there for a long time. It is an active church, so if you go during a Mass, you won't be able to "tour" the church at that time.

St. Peter's.......No description or even a picture can do it true justice. You just "have to experience it." For me, it's special for a few reasons, I went in December (both trips to Rome) and each time experienced something awe-inspiring. I can go on and on about the Basilica. Hands down, my favorite. No tickets are needed. You just stand in line, go through security, and you're good to go. You must observe the dress code.

Oh, big backpacks, bags, luggage, large umbrellas won't be allowed in the Vatican (and not the Basilica.) The large items will need to be checked. Water bottles were okay but guards asked they be put in a bag. Canes and walkers were allowed; they just need to be checked by the guards.

I didn't visit the Colosseo underground, so I can't offer any suggestions.

Have fun!

Posted by
25 posts

Thank You all for your insight. Every bit of the information I have received from you will help a lot.

Posted by
1662 posts

Hi Anita, I did add some cautionary advice to my post. I like to think that too much info, lol, is still good. I know I appreciate details, and then I just weed through what applies to me.

Oh, and you can buy the BIT at any Tabacchi shop (a big "T") and most gift shops. Bus drivers do not carry or sell tickets. If you take the Metro at any time, you can buy a ticket at the window or self-serve machine.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
15809 posts

Anita, unless things have changed, you left out a critical piece of info....That you will be moving 10-12 family members around on this trip.

One of your previous questions:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/help-with-sights-to-see

You will not be able to purchase coopculture tour tickets (Colosseum) for your entire group at the same time. Ticket purchases are limited to 6 for the same visit, and they often sell out within the hour that they become available. Additionally, by the time you paid individual ticket/tour fees for this many people, the cost of a dedicated guide service may cost the same or possibly even less. It would DEFINITELY be a whole lot less messy to do that way as the website is sort of hairball (!!!) to wade through these days, especially ticketing for a combo of adults and minors.

You might consider a dedicated guide for the Vatican Museums/St Peter's as well but do the math...

I don't have personal recos for private guides that would take ONLY your group but I'm sure some others on this forum might have some good suggestions. Oh, and I absolutely vote with the others to avoid the hoho buses: a lousy way to get around Rome. It's a wonderful city to walk, and it'll be easier to move a group your size that way. We've only hopped public transit (metro) a couple of times over a couple of trips, and then only to locations further afield than you'll be sightseeing in the time that you have.

Posted by
1662 posts

I'd also like to suggest viewing these videos from The Roman Guy, they are very helpful; especially to new travelers to Rome. Sean, one of the guides has lived in Rome for over 10 years but is originally from Philly.

Colosseo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EOVT4HfE-8

Maybe get some insight watching The Roman Guy who talks about the "tour underground" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfSiQv8f68g

Vaticano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHpQ-A9hs4

A little heads up going to the Vaticano https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4suyshqWmQ8 But, lol, it will be jam packed unless you go in the wee hours, lol. The later in the morning or day, the more the crowding.

If anything, Bojan adds humor but still very helpful with How to use the buses in Roma https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZR9AAv_Y8c

Posted by
7737 posts

Do you have a Rick Steves guidebook for Rome yet? There's no need to try to pull together all this information from scratch. He tells you which sights require reservations AND how to get them.

Posted by
15809 posts

Again, though, if the OP will be moving 10-12 people around on this trip, that presents some specific challenges, especially if that group is multi-generational.

Anita, it would be helpful to know more about who you're going to be traveling with, for how long (I know it's in June) and where your itinerary is at right now? Rome, Naples, Florence (a villa somewhere?) Lucca were mentioned, and you also mention a 1-night stay in London?

You also are asking about car rental to get to your villa in Tuscany in a different thread but didn't specify the amount of people you're traveling with. You will likely need multiple vehicles for a group the size of yours IF that's still the plan. Small children along? Add car seats to the mix.... The more you can tell us, the better we can help you! :O)