Please sign in to post.

Siena to Assisi

I am staying in Siena for several days in April and taking 2 tours throughout Tuscany with Roberto. His tour company only goes throughout Tuscany and I would love to find a way to get to Assisi at least for one day. From what I have read, getting to Assisi from Siena involves a LOT of transfers. Does anyone have an idea of how to do this...or hiring another tour company to get me there?

Thanks for any help.

Posted by
16893 posts

The train route only requires 1 connection on some departures, but travel time for all morning departures from Siena is about 5 hours to Assisi, so you can't return in one day.

Sena/Baltour runs one direct daily bus that's faster at 1.75 hours, but in order to return the same day, the departure times only work for people starting in Assisi in the morning and returning to Assisi in the evening.

Taking the bus and staying overnight in Assisi could solve the problem, then travel on from there to your next destination.

Posted by
11613 posts

Assisi is worth a night, the evening and early morning with no daytrippers is a completely different vibe than the crowded main streets during the day.

Posted by
484 posts

We stayed overnight in Assisi last June. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed Assisi and want to go back. We apreciate St. Francis, St. Clare, and Giotto's Art. Anyway, Sena bus is the way to go for efficiency. There were only 3 times available from Siena to Assisi. I recommend that you get your tickets for Sena early. We went the day before leaving Siena to the bus station. We could only get the 5 pm bus for Assisi. This "messed up" our plans a bit. We thought it would be easier to get to Assisi. The bus takes you to the base town of Mt. Subasio. From there, you simply walk to the bus stop and take a city bus up to Assisi on Mt. Subasio. The Sena bus has a short connection near Perugia.