Please sign in to post.

Siena Rental Car

We have rented a car at the Siena location with Avis. None of the rental car agencies open before 9 a.m. and we have to drop off the car at 8:30 am in order to make our train leaving Florence nonstop for Naples. I have been to this location before and it is up a little side road that I do not think has room for parking. I have read online that the gate will be locked to the parking lot and that you can leave the car somewhere and put the keys in their lockbox, but where do you leave it if there is nowhere super close? Can we just leave it on the side of the little road going up to the Avis location? Don't want to be charged for a car but also not able or willing to walk with luggage for a long ways. There must be somewhere we can easily leave it, as they are closed for several hours during the afternoon, also, and this must happen a lot. I am going to try to call the Avis place there today, but not sure if I will get an English-speaking agent or any help. Has anyone done this recently? thanks Janet and Walt

Posted by
7 posts

And please don't reply by saying that we should just drop off the car in Florence. We have arranged a taxi from Siena to Florence. After driving in or near Florence MANY times, we will never do it again. thank you!

Posted by
478 posts

Are you picking it up at that same Avis in Siena? If you can't reach them before then, just ask when you pick it up. Or even if you are picking up elsewhere in Italy ask them to call Siena location then.

Posted by
15762 posts

Cancel the expensive taxi ride Siena to Florence, and drive to Florence.

If you don’t want to drive in the city, you can return the car at the airport (on Via Palagio degli Spini) then take a short tramway ride (or taxi ride) to the station.

It’s all freeway and you’ll be at the airport in 70 min. Then add 20 min to the SMN station.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DmjeRHXFQMG9mfDa8?g_st=ic

If you need to refuel the car before returning it, you can do so here, no need to get off the freeway. Save the location on your phone.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/74AcLVAc3vT34Xms7?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

Posted by
1839 posts

Drop the car off at Avis the day before when they are open in Siena. I agree, a drop off is risky. The next morning take your taxi to Florence if you wish.

Another option is to drop the car off at Avis the day before when it is open and train that day to Florence from Siena. Stay in Florence near SMN. The next morning take your train from Florence to Naples. Why spend so much money taking a taxi from Siena to Florence when the train is so much cheaper. A taxi will take you from Avis to the train station as well.

Posted by
15762 posts

Or also take a later train to Napoli.
There is a train departing from Siena at 9:18 and arriving at Firenze SMN at 10:52.
Then at Firenze SMN the Frecciarossa to Naples leaves at 11:14. The cost of the train to Siena is just above 10€ pp, certainly less than a taxi.

Posted by
7 posts

We have a large and very fun group staying at a villa for a week, and we don't want to leave a day early just because of the car rental situation. There are 4 of us who will take the taxi from Siena to Florence and it is not expensive. Laurie Ann, thanks, I will try calling and will also just talk to the folks at that Avis location when we pick up the car there. We already have transportation set up for the Amalfi Coast (a wonderful Rick Steves recommended driver) picking us up at a particular time and we don't want to go later - our friends have never been and we want to get there ASAP. Sometimes, when you get older, it is worth it to pay extra for less complicated transportation services! We have been to Italy 15 times and are happy to pay a local - when it makes sense - to get you where you want to go at a particular time. thanks to everyone

Posted by
7 posts

Roberto, you are right - the train to Naples that leaves later only gets there 15 minutes after the earlier one, and it gives us just enough time that we can choose to either drop off the car AFTER the Avis place opens at 9 a.m. and take a taxi to FLorence, OR take a taxi to the Siena train station and then train to Florence. For some reason, when I checked the train schedule a month or so ago, that later train did not show up. Hurray, problem solved! thanks to all