Please sign in to post.

Siena questions

Hello~
I was just reading around in the helpline and saw a question on Siena. We will be in Florence in June 09 with two boys (10 and 12) for four full days. I am in the process of doing research but wondered if someone could help me with this... If we take a train(bus?) to Siena for the day can you move around nicely without a car? and What was your favorite memory of being there. If anyone traveled there with children or thinks like a child please let me know what would get their attention the most. Lastly I am the type of traveler that likes to take her time in a city and not rush too much. Keeping this in mind, is one day trip away from Florence fine or would you suggest another add on? If so, please describe. (a suggestion on a tour that includes Pisa would be nice also as another option)

thank you for the help
viv

Posted by
48 posts

We had our two kids (9&11) in Italy two years ago. We were unable to make it to Siena, however, I have been there before. In general, our kids loved the adventure of public transportation and reading the RS book while viewing the sites he describes. We have also downloaded RS pod casts for other locations that have been enjoyed. Not sure how your children will react, but I believe ours would enjoy a day trip to Siena. I don't remember any specific attraction specifically for children. From others' advice on this site, I would assume that a bus from Siena is more convenient as the train station is away from the city center.

We have a trip planned next spring with Siena on the agenda - kids included.

Posted by
10344 posts

Most travelers take the bus from Florence to Siena, for the reason Jim gave and because the corse rapide buses are faster than the train; however, bus schedules are not so good on Sundays and holidays. Train works, too. You don't need or want a car to get around within Siena.

Posted by
2297 posts

We spent a day in June in Siena with our 10 and 12 year old girls. They really liked just walking about town, see how the Campo was getting prepared for the Palio (bleachers were up, clay packed down ...).

They also liked the Duomo and Museo Civico. There are really interesting exhibits. Though the kids complained that they spent too much time in the museum. I was in line for the tower at the time while their dad took them to the museum. I did the museum afterwards in half the time - which would have been perfect for the kids.

We had a very hot day of about 98 F so the kids weren't keen on going up the tower. There can be quite a line-up and you're not allowed to bring a water bottle up. On a cooler day that could be great, too. I really loved the views from the top.

The Torture Museum was also quite a hit, not too gruesome. However, lots of signs in there are in Italian only.

Posted by
831 posts

Viv,
The bus is better than the train and you can't drive in Siena, see http://www.sitabus.it/sita-toscana/Firenze-Siena07.pdf
I have been to Siena many times, three times with children. Each child was different on what they liked but here are some suggestions:

Palazzo Pubblico, city hall at the bottom of the campo. Some kids liked the art but most wanted to climb the tower, Torre di Mangia.

All the kids liked playing in the campo.

Museo dell'Opera was somewhat appreciated by the kids but they all wanted to climb onto the Panorama dal Facciatone.

The Duomo was liked by two of the kids and one really liked the Libreria Piccolomini.

Spedale di Santa Marie delle Scale, the old hospital across from the Duomo, was enjoyed by half the kids and one liked the archaeological museum on the lowest levels.

All the kids wanted to see San Domenico church because it has the head of Saint Catherine on display.

The kids liked walking through the fortezza and the Enoteca Italia.

Most of the kids liked just walking through the back streets.

The girls liked the market on Wednesday morning.

I don't think you can see it all in one day and the more time you spend there the more you will like it.

Posted by
88 posts

Some great info here gang. I just checked the Best of Tuscany tour site, and WOW. Two of us women will be in Italy-Rome, Assisi, Perugia and Florence next year, Mid June to mid July, and I have been trying to get some tours lined up. This combines a lot for a great price, and it sounds like a wonderful deal. Anyone taken this tour, and was it to rushed??? I do have one other question, does anyone know of any tours to Volterre, as I am really wanting to spend some time there. Thanks, this site is sooooo helpful!

Posted by
215 posts

Thank you everyone for all the helpful information. This helpline is the best. RS books have been a wonderful tool as well, but to be able to ask specific questions to people who have been to where I am planning on seeing is great. Thank you all again. Viv

Posted by
160 posts

Viv,
We booked a day trip to Siena and San Gimignano through expedia.com. It was wonderful.