Please sign in to post.

Siena or Lucca?

One night stay between Venice and Cinque Terre for family of four (2 college age girls + parents). Lucca makes more sense geographically, but Siena highly recommended by a couple of friends. We are traveling by train/bus. Opinions?

Posted by
2252 posts

We visited both cities last June-a family trip which included 2 teenagers and my 40 something daughter. They had a fabulous time shopping in Lucca, buying clothes and leather goods during our free time. I enjoyed spending time in both cities and maybe which ever one you miss this trip, you can visit on another vacation? We were on a RS tour so don't know what to advise re transportation options. Those train/bus options might make your choice more obvious.

Posted by
2487 posts

If it's just for one night: Lucca. Siena is a lovely city (in my not so humble opinion much more agreeable than Florence), but it is crowded and not so practical when dependent on the train. Lucca is more quiet and relaxed, and still interesting enough not to get bored.

Posted by
4152 posts

I would say Lucca. It's not as crowded and clears out in the evening. Siena is huge and very crowded.

Donna

Posted by
1749 posts

My last Italy trip was 13 days including Siena (3 nights), Florence (4 nights), Lucca (2 nights), and Cinque Terre (3 nights). I used Siena as my base for two days of visiting Tuscan hill towns.

I loved all the destinations, but if I were really forced to cut a day or two from this itinerary, there is no question that Lucca would be the one to go. And knowing what I know having been there, I'd regret having to do that. But Siena is, IMHO, second only to Florence as a must-see destination in Tuscany.

Posted by
650 posts

Where else are you going? Both Sienna and Lucca are easy day trips from Florence. If your trip includes Florence before Cinque Terre, that's what I would do.

Posted by
112 posts

We have just one night between longer stays in Venice and Cinque Terre. I know many would recommend Florence for that night but not on this trip. I think I'm going to go with Lucca. We'll just have to come back and see Florence and Siena another time, right?!