Please sign in to post.

Siena Accommodations

From Florence I am planning on traveling to Siena and San Gimignano. I'm looking for a recommendation for the most convenient town to stay in for a single traveler.

Posted by
3551 posts

It is easy to local bus it from Siena to alot of Tuscan villages and cheap too. I stay in Siena nr bus station ,take your day or half day trips out easily & safely. Siena is a great and interesting base alone or with others.

Posted by
705 posts

I'd suggest Siena too. SG is lovely but a bit isolated and probably not as well serviced as Siena. I know you can get the bus to Florence from Siena and I's sure a lot of other places.

Posted by
842 posts

Siena is very easy to access by bus from Florence. It is extremely safe and a single person will be able to enjoy walking thru the old town, day or nite. If you read Rick's books, and pick the right hotel, you will have good access to the bus stops, and for your strolls thruout the town. It has good shopping and many deliteful restaurants.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the tips. What are people's thoughts on staying at a hotel right outside the city walls?

Posted by
842 posts

Heidi, we stayd at one of Rick's reccomendations, the Hotel Chiusarelli because:

1. it was close to the bus stops

2. it had fantastic access to town.

3. the price was right.

It was basic hotel. Read the reviews in Trip Advisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187902-d231295-Reviews-Hotel_Chiusarelli-Siena_Tuscany.html

But........there are also some great reviews on the Hotel Alex, which is a little outside the walls and seems to be very popular with both singles and couples.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187902-d603927-r7753005-Hotel_Alex-Siena_Tuscany.html

Posted by
20 posts

We stayed in Siena for 10 days in a hotel outside of the walls. It was about a 20 minute walk to the old part of the city which we didn't mind. It gave us a chance to see how people lived. We used Siena as our base to see the countryside by car, however we took the bus to Florence twice and found that to be very convenient. In fact the bus stop was about a 5 minute walk from our hotel.We really liked Siena and it was a restful quiet place to stay after having visited Rome. Details of the hotel can be supplied on request.

Posted by
221 posts

I haven't been there yet, but have a reservation for the Palazzo Bruchi B and B in Siena. They answered me right away and the reviews on Trip Advisor just raved about it.