Please sign in to post.

Siena Accommodations

My husband and I, and our 8-year-old daughter are stopping in Siena for three nights in June. We are considering Hotel Santa Caterina, which I understand is a bit of walk (?)into center. I'm considering this hotel as it sounds quiet, and has a nice view, a garden area for breakfast. Would the walk to center be too much for our daughter, is it better to stay in the center? Not sure of the distance, and if the center is too busy?

Posted by
1054 posts

I just booked the Albergo Bernini for my trip in October. I saw it on Rick's show and the pics on the website look nice with a rooftop terrace. It's more by the downtown city center area.

Posted by
47 posts

We stayed in Albergo Bernini and enjoyed it! The terrace was great for breakfast in the morning. It was very easy to walk to everywhere we needed to get to in the center. The staff was also very helpful, especially since we arrived at 11 pm due to a train strike. I would recommend it.

Posted by
257 posts

Maggie,
It look like 30M walk to the center. Also, the bus station and the train station are in the other side of the town. (North East)Most likely, you will have to take taxi to the train station.

Posted by
3112 posts

It looks like a long walk from Hotel Santa Caterina to the center and the walk won't be level. You might inquire with the hotel about bus service into the center. I stayed at Alma Domus in September and my room was quiet. It's central and an easy walk to the Campo and other sights, but just far enough away from the action to be peaceful. Breakfast room is indoors, and there's a courtyard with tables near the lobby. Rooms are plain but clean. It's very near Albergo Bernini, but on a quieter street.

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks for the info - it's really helpful! My husband and I love to walk everywhere but having our 8-year-old with us means we need to keep distances in check. I'm thinking it might be best to stay in the centre. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We're also thinking of taking a trip to the wineries (for mom and dad's sake - not our daughters!) If anyone has a low-key tour to recommend as well - let me know. Or, we might rent a car for a day and explore the countryside on our own.