Please sign in to post.

Sicily & Sorrento

Hi,
We are planning to fly into Catania from Barcelona late in September and spend 3 nights in Syracuse, then go on to Taormina for 4 nights. The plan was to take the overnight ferry to Naples and we have 5 nights booked in sorrento. After hearing bad reviews we have decided to fly to Naples. Just wondering if we should extend Taormina or Sorrento another night or maybe spend a night in Catania or even Capri or Amalfi. Any suggestions on where we can spend our extra night would be much appreciated.
Pam

Posted by
6788 posts

After hearing bad reviews we have decided to fly to Naples.

Bad reviews of what? Sorrento? The ferry? ???

Posted by
527 posts

Hi,
When I researched my Sicily vacation, to decide how many nights for Taormina, posters seemed to either find it paradise or crowded and expensive. We were happy with our two nights. When you go to Syracuse you will want to stay on the end in Ortygia (love) which is scenic and charming. We went into Syracuse to see the ancient ruins and museum only. Personally I did not like Catania. Perhaps you would enjoy that extra night in Positano as seeing it in the evening will be different than a day visit. Sounds like a lovely trip

Posted by
879 posts

Depending on what you want to see, you can fill five days in Sorrento easily. Though I generally recommend taking a couple of those nights and staying in an Amalfi Coast town (Sorrento is not.) day tripping to the Amalfi Coast from Sorrento can be a real drag, and more importantly it is time consuming. If your main sight seeing interests include Naples/Pompeii/Capri/etc. then Sorrento is the right option. But if your main goal is to enjoy some Amalfi Coast beauty and relaxation, then I would stay somewhere on the AC (where exactly is a whole other discussion.) If it helps, you’re traveling to some beautiful places, there’s probably no real wrong way to divy up those days.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for your replies.
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to travel from Lipari or any other aeolian islands to Naples via ferry?