Please sign in to post.

Sicily Itinerary

How do I find the Sicily Itinerary that someone had posted? It was traveling by bus and trains and sounded perfect for us. I don't know how to find old topics, sorry

Posted by
3150 posts

Just try the "Search" function at the top of the page.

Posted by
1540 posts

I used this site before I went to Sicily. It has hundreds of links and lots of info about transportation, short tours, restaurants. etc.
Best of Sicily

Posted by
15560 posts

The search function on this site is not useful. Google's advanced search usually gives very good results. Put community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum in the "site or domain"

Posted by
1501 posts

Harold posted an extensive itinerary. Try searching his name.
I've been to Sicily a number of times, and I can tell you the trains are very, very nice. I have never rented a car there, and always manage to get around. I've done the north flat end of the triangle and the East Coast. I flew into Catania, went to Taormina, where I rented an apartment through: legendofsicily.com. I also booked a few tours with them - one full day tour to Mt. Etna and a lovely Vineyard, (Gambino Vini - they have a website and FB page) and a full day tour to Siracusa, Fabulous sites there! Better than Greece!

From there I took the train to Cefalu. Stayed in an absolutely, unbelievably beautiful hotel: Hotel le Callette. Seriously, was exhausted by then, (spent four days in Rome at the beginning) and even though people love that church in Cefalu, put it off till the last day and literally took a vacation from my vacation and just totally luxuriated at my "splurge" hotel! (You will need a taxi to get into town, but who cares!!?)

From there I went to Palermo, enjoyed that crazy city for four days and flew Palermo/Rome/Us.

You will be fine using trains and buses!

Posted by
15560 posts

When I was planning my Sicilian trip, I found this trip report on Trip Advisor. She visited with her father and without a car. I found it quite useful, even though I rented a car.

Posted by
11294 posts

Here's my trip report, but note that we had a rental car: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/sicily-palermo-caltanisetta-siracusa-taormina

Chani is right; I find that using Google's advance search and asking to restrict findings to the website www.ricksteves.com gives good results. For instance, to find my report, you would first put search on "Sicily Harold" (no quotes); you will get a crazy avalanche of results. Then go to Advanced Search (under the gear symbol on the upper right - at least on a desktop computer) and then restrict to this website, and it will come up.