Please sign in to post.

Sicily in November

Sicily has been on my bucket list for some time. Tentative plan on week of Thanksgiving, about six nights five full days. Begin and end in Rome, fly to Catania one night, bus to Siracusa two nights, bus to Palermo three nights. Any comment about bus transportation? Must see sights within these days? I am aware November could bring high wind and rain.
Blessings,
Peter

Posted by
11613 posts

Fog, too. If your flight gets in early enough, you could get to Siracusa the same day. Great archeological zone, centro storico (Ortygia), and museum.

In and around Palermo: Erice, Segesta, Monreale, and the Norman Castle. If you can squeeze in Cefalu, great little seafront city with beautiful cathedral mosaic.

Posted by
1501 posts

My favorite place in the world! I just wish you had more time! Your plan sounds reasonable. In Siracusa there's a huge Greek Theatre dating back to the 5th Century BC at the Piazza Pancale. There's also a marvellous Archaeological Museum there. I've just been adcised that the Archaeological Museum in Palermo is closed, and because of this, I would advise you to make time for Taormina, which has its own Greek Theatre with the most stunning views, because it is on the Sea with Mt. Etna in the background.

You will have no time on this trip for the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento. I haven't been either! Next trip for sure.

The way I've transported myself is from Catania to Taormina (either bus or train) then train from Taormina to Palermo. (Via Messina) The regionale trains were clean, new and relatively on time. Also inexpensive, and I didn't pre-order tickets. Just bought them as I needed them.

Sounds like you already know that you can purchase a one way ticket from Rome to Catania, and another from Palermo to Rome, which will give you more precious time exploring rather than backtracking. I like Alitalia, because they're only a very few EU more,
but without all the restrictions/fees re luggage.

Posted by
1501 posts

I'm sorry, I've just edited the above post to the point where I've confused myself! After re-reading your post, I realize that you haven't asked about 'ruins' at all! Or museums! Your trip sounds good as is, and I've been to Siracusa and enjoyed it, it's a big town, impressive ruins. Palermo is a noisy, somewhat 'gritty' city with lots of hustle and bustle. Taormina is quieter (in November) has a beautiful Greek Theatre, views, Volcano, excellent food and you could even visit a winery while there if you elimiinate Palermo.
Just depends on what you want.

Our next trip we'll spend more time in Palermo and head south th Agrigento. Happy Travels!

Posted by
44 posts

Appreciate your comments. Can I go to Agrigento Valley of Temples as day trip from Palermo?

Posted by
11613 posts

It's about two hours each way by train. The ruins areas are vast, it will take a full day, depending on train schedules. Last train from Agrigento is at about 8pm (check trenitalia.com).