Please sign in to post.

Sicily help?

My wife, son (age4), and I are traveling to Messina, Sicily in September. We will be on a cruise ship so only have limited time in port (9 hours). My wife and son really want to visit a volcano while we are there and Taormina seems nice. How easy is it to get around and can we get to all we want to see without feeling rushed and not using the cruise ship excursions? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Posted by
2829 posts

9 hours (including safe margins) are not enough to visit both sites, assuming, in practical term, they are just 7 hours. I'd to the following, without relying on cruise excursions 1. Check the weather forecast the night/morning before via Internet (or ask a friend to check and send an SMS). Use Catania as reference. 2a. If it is not raining, rent a car, drive to the volcano base station, take a gondola up there and then you can even take a jeep tour to the crater (not on winter). Take your time, and then stop at some tiny village around the base of the volcano, or drive around the volcano (it is huge, massive, with many different sites, including ruins). 2b. If it is raining, take a train to Taormina from Messina central station, and spend the day there. Beware of the last train back to Messina, give yourself ample time. Even better, rent a car and drive to Taormina.

Posted by
931 posts

Billy, Andre gave you some great advice. Pick one or the other. The volcano has been quite active lately, so you might see a good show. Make sure that you check the weather befroe you leave for the cvolcano, because some times it is in clouds most of the day. Driving in Sicily is easy, but taking the train, or the bus may be cheaper. The bus is slow. Take your drivers license and international drivers permit (that you get at you local AAA office) if you rent a car. Go to Cruise Critic and read some of the info there about the cuise ships excursion to the volcano.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you Andre and Steve for your advice. I will look in to renting a car and taking them to the volcano if the weather is acceptable.