Please sign in to post.

Sicily Guidebook 2019

The RS Sicily 2019 book will be available on Amazon mid-April (approx.).
Will it be possible to order the book directly from Rick Steves site at approx same timeframe?
Once the book comes out, will the Forum develop a Sicily site? It will be more convenient to source Sicily info and conversation at a focused Sicily site rather than weeded it from the Italy site.

Posted by
15582 posts

One of few things I don't like about tripadvisor is that there's a separate forum for every little place with multiple layers of larger areas to get there. Instead of separating parts of forums, I'd like the search function to be more useful.

Posted by
3160 posts

Chani, I’m with you 100%. The search function is in desperate need of a replacement to better filter searches and results. I say replacement because I don’t think an upgrade would be sufficient.

Posted by
32201 posts

angelina,

The only people that can provide concrete answers to your questions are the staff at RS. You might send them an E-mail as that will provide the information you're looking for.

A few thoughts on your questions.....

• I would expect that if the Sicily book is available on Amazon in mid-April, it will certainly be available on the RS website then.
  • I very much doubt that a separate "Sicily" section would be added to the forum. As someone else pointed out, Sicily is part of Italy. Many people combine a trip to the mainland with a trip to Sicily, so having all "Italy" topics in the same place might be easier. If they did separate Italy and Sicily, there might be some asking for a separate Sardinia forum, or a separate Corsica forum added to France.

The only country which seems to have separate categories on the forum is the UK, which is divided into England, Wales and Scotland (no separate section for Northern Ireland), and there's no category for Malta. I suppose questions for those locations have to be posted in either "Beyond Europe" or "General Europe".

Posted by
55 posts

Sicily is time consuming to get to. That's probably the main reason it has its own book. I went to Italy lots of times without going to Sicily, but when I began to look at the transportation details, I decided it made more sense to fly open jaw into either Catania or Palermo, and home from the other. I've enjoyed 5 week trips to Sicily in 2015 and 2016, and I'm returning in September, 2019. Sicily is great, and it deserves its own book.

Rick's organized tour omits Scopello, Noto, Ragusa Ibla, Petralia Soprana, and Cefalù. The three of us stayed 2 nights in each place, and wished we had more time. Especially if you like to swim or eat or drink wine, Sicily is absolutely terrific.