Please sign in to post.

Sicily

I'm planning a two-week trip to Sicily, hoping to fly into Palermo and out of Catania via Rome (or vice versa). The cities we would like to visit are Palermo, Cefula, Messina, Taormina and Sircusa. We would use Catania as a departure city to get back to Rome before we fly home and also plan a day trip to Mount Etna.

Is there something special in Catania that we would need to stay longer or just use it fly back to Rome?

We would like to visit the main historical sites, visit the beaches and cafes and just wonder around without too strict a schedule.

Am I being too ambitious with the itinerary and should I cut back on some on some of the cities? And what is the best route without having to back track too much?

Thank you in advance.

Posted by
184 posts

We stayed 10 nights in Catania and used it as a base for day trips. We were thrilled to stay there because the food was incredible. Cannoli, pizza (their "neapolitan" was better than what we have had in Napoli), caponata, ahhhh!

Posted by
25 posts

I've planned our trip for 2024. Currently have bought air from Rome to Catania and then plan to return from Palermo to Naples to get in a few days in Napoli (have not bought return as I'm waiting for airlines to publish.) We are not going to spend anytime in Catania we are renting a car and headed straight to Taormina 3n, Etna 2n (to visit wineries), Siracusa 3 n, Modica 1n, Cefalu 2n, and Palermo 3n. If you like historical sites you may want to visit the valley of the temples in Agrigento. Not sure what is drawing you to Messina. I'd cut that out if you want more relaxing beach days.

Posted by
423 posts

I flew into Catania and immediately got a bus outside the airport to Siracusa, very fast (about an hour or so) and efficient you purchase the bus ticket at a booth right after you exit, and the buses pull up right there. Siracusa was amazing! You can see The Ear of Dionysius, The Temple of Apollo, The Duomo, The Church of Santa Lucia, The Archimedes Museum, The Roman ruins and Amphitheatre, so much to see and do in Siracusa. I stayed in a great apartment in Siracusa that you could walk to most everything. We also had a meal in Siracusa that was one of the best in my life!!! In Catania I stayed at an amazing apartment that you could also easily walk to attractions like Catania Cathedral, Castle Orsino, Elephants Palace, the Piazza with the elephant statue and more. They also have an open-air market selling fruits and vegetables, and an airport shuttle that picks you up in the city that was cost efficient and easy to walk to that we used when we left. Catania has an open-air little train that takes you all around the city for a few euros. They have a boulevard called Via Etnea that has shops and cafes and restaurants, as well as Churches and parks. I also went to a museum there with an open-air amphitheater. I found going to Siracusa first was easiest and ended my trip in Catania. While in Catania I did a day trip to Savoca to do a tour called The Godfather's Tour (based on the movies starring Al Pacino and Marlon Brando) which was amazing!!! Bar Vitelli is still there and looks just like it did in the movie. Catania also has great restaurants as well as Siracusa. Feel free to pm me for any recommendations.

Posted by
6778 posts

To me, Catania is worth a full day, two at the very most. It has a few sites, but no must see ones. There are some ruins, but there are much better ruins around the island.

Posted by
27400 posts

The WWII Museum in Catania is said to be very good. Unfortunately, I learned about it after my trip. The historic center near the Duomo is very attractive, and there's the market. I'm sure the duomo itself is worth a visit but don't remember whether I went inside. Both Palermo and Siracusa have more to offer, though Catania is decently positioned for day trips into the center of the island (Villa Romana del Casale, Enna, etc.)

I'd want to allow time while in Siracusa to see some of the Baroque towns (Ragusa, Noto, Modica, Scicli).

I, too, am puzzled about your interest in Messina. Unless there's a family connection or something like that, I'd absolutely drop it. I spent the night there for logistical reasons (traveling from Sicily to Puglia is quite the challenge) and had some time to walk around. I didn't see anything particularly interesting or unusual, though I'm sure the cathedral is worth a look.

Posted by
3970 posts

Agree about Messina. We were there because we used the ferry to go to Salina (family reason). Also,, Cefalu was okay. The cathedral is beautiful but similar to the one in Monreal and the Norman Palace in Palermo.
We were surprised at how much we loved Palermo. We had an idea of what we would encounter and we were way off. Take a tour of the theater. We even went to a puppet show one evening which was fun.
In Taormina we took a great and fun cooking class with Chef Massimo. Google him. He is very popular. The setting was beautiful and the food, even though we cooked it, was delicious.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you for the advice. I am definitely taking Messina off the list. If we did not want to rent a car, what is the best mode of transportation while in Sicily? I heard the trains are not that fast.

Also, what is the best area to stay in for hotels in Palermo, Sircusa and Catania?

Thank you.

Posted by
2576 posts

The problem with trains is that they do not go every where. We took on from Taormina to Siracusa and it was very nice.

We took a bus from Catania airport to Taormina and it worked seamlessly.

There also are parts of the island that are difficult to connect with public transportation. That is why we rented a car for part of the time. Alternatives are sticking to areas well connected, having enough time to take inefficient public transportation, and private transport.

And I agree with Barbara-we loved Palermo much more than we expected and wasn't as excited about Cefalu, although we did enjoy our time there.

Posted by
27400 posts

Sicily doesn't have express trains, so service is rather slow. Occasionally the rail route wanders around, further slowing things down. Where there are no trains or terribly slow trains (e.g., between Palermo and Trapani), buses fill the gap unless it's Sunday. Imter-city buses don't seem to run on Sunday, which needs to be considered in laying out one's itinerary.

Posted by
105 posts

Is it preferred to have a rental car? Can it all be done fairly easily with public transportation. While we have rented cars on euro vacations before we were trying to avoid it for this vacation.

Posted by
955 posts

Two weeks is pretty comfortable for what your focus is. You could do 3 nights each in Palermo, Taormina and Siracusa, 2 in Cefalu and still have a couple days to play with. If you’re going to add anything I’d suggest Agrigento (Valley of the Temples) and Villa Romana del Casale. They’re not exactly as out of the way as it might seem, the autostrada bisects the island to connect Palermo and Catania. They are not far off the autostrada, and are among the most jaw-dropping and unique sites in Europe. Worth thinking about.

Unfortunately, a car is your best option for most of the trip. Sicily’s trains are very limited and not always comfortable. Palermo>Cefalu is good. Busses are the best public transport option, and you can connect everything you mention with them. There is very good coverage and the price is right. Still, you’re on the bus’ schedule and it can be limiting. I found the Rome2Rio app very handy in determining the schedule, timing, etc. Depending on where you go, driving can be a little challenging (it’s generally hilly/mountainous country with a stick shift). But outside the cities, traffic and parking were rarely issues for me.

Posted by
3970 posts

In Palermo we stayed in the city center at the Eurostars Centrale Palace hotel. It was dead center steps from the Four Corners Rick mentions. It was a beautiful old villa and had a lovely breakfast.

Posted by
72 posts

We are currently in Catania (definitely see the WWII museum), and will be in Sicily until the28th, using all public transportation. We’re headed to Taormina tomorrow. We do take a lengthy bus ride from Siracusa to Palermo. Hopefully it will be fine. I use Rome 2 Rio as well to help me decide “how to get there.” Driving is not an option. I want to still be married at the end of my travels. Enjoy! The planning is very fun too.

Posted by
423 posts

Hello,
Take buses! It is easy and efficient and you dont have to worry about ZTL’s, car break ins, damage to a rental, directions, ect.
Enjoy, Sicily is amazing!✨

Posted by
18 posts

What is the best area to stay in in Palermo? I have heard that Centro Storico or Politeama/Liberta are best but having a hard time choosing between the two. Is one preferable to the other?

Also, we are possibly thinking about taking the train to Agrigento and does anyone know if there is luggage storage at the train station?

And can anyone recommend any walking tour companies for Palermo and Catania?

Thank you.

Posted by
955 posts

The areas in Palermo you noted are both nice (the entire city center pretty much is), but Politeama is too far from the action for me. Anywhere near Via Marqueda between Quattro Canti and Teatro Massimo is ideal. You’ll be roughly equidistant from most historic sites and all three markets. Via Maqueda is pedestrian only this entire stretch, which makes for what must be the longest passegiata in Italy. If you stay here you’ll find Palermo very walkable.