Please sign in to post.

sicily

We're planning a trip to Sicily in November and have pretty much pinned down the major sites. We find that we may have one extra day to fill. Which day trip would you opt for: the Aeolian Islands, the Egadi Islands or hiking in the Zingaro Natural Park or hiking somewhere else?

Posted by
440 posts

Carol that totaly depends on where you are when you have the free day. Zip me through your itinerary and I will suggest something. I adore Sicily.

Posted by
161 posts

Our itinerary is a circle tour of the island: Palermo (2 nights), Cefalu, Taormina (2 nights), Etna, Siracusa (2 nights), Modica, Noto, Ragusa, Piazza Armerina, Agrigento (1 night), Trapani, Scopello, Segesta, Monreale, Palermo (2 nights). We can fit in an extra day wherever we choose. Thanks for your help.

Posted by
247 posts

November is low season and not a good time to visit the islands. Tourist businesses are closed and the islands can be lashed with storms and rough seas even causing ferries to shut down.

Spend the day at the Zingaro Reserve.

Posted by
440 posts

I have experienced wild weather in April. CST at least still runs tours all year, including winter, so there must be things open. Etna might be cloaked in snow by then if you are lucky.

Posted by
1 posts

I would recommend Zingaro because your itinerary is extremely ambitious as is. During riposo everything shuts down between a 1 and 4 and the distances you're planning to travel can take some time especially since the roads are not well marked.

Here's Zingaro. http://alohafromsicily.blogspot.com/search?q=zingaro

Aloha, Jacque LeBlanc (Americans living in Sicily)

Posted by
1540 posts

I hike in Zingaro in November and the weather was beautiful. I would recommend staying in Scopello, a charming small village - near Zingaro.
A great hike along the coast - beautiful blue waters.