Please sign in to post.

Sicily

Do refugees in Sicily pose an issue for travelers? Is there anything that we need to be mindful of? Are there any areas that we need to stay away from? Happy Holidays!

Posted by
2768 posts

No, this isn't an issue for travelers.

As far as things to be mindful of, there is nothing specific to Sicily, just general tourist precautions like anywhere else in the world. Be mindful of possible pickpockets, be alert, that kind of thing. Also, Sicilian driving is kind of crazy so be careful if you rent a car!

I'm sure the big cities have rough neighborhoods to avoid, but from what I understand these aren't places you would have any reason to be in so won't present a problem.

Posted by
15453 posts

The Hospitality Centers for Asylum Seekers (Italian acronym: C.A.R.A.) which are located in Sicily are in:
Trapani (Salina Grande)
Pozzallo
Caltanissetta (Pian del Lago)
Mineo
Lampedusa Island

These centers are similar to detention centers near the border with Mexico, but unlike the American ones, migrants in Italy are not really detained and can roam around freely.

Obviously many immigrants are also scattered throughout the country. The number of immigrants in Italy is however rather insignificant compared to the border States in USA. Therefore if migrants are not a problem for travelers in San Diego or Los Angeles, I don’t see why they should be a problem for travelers in Italy.