Please sign in to post.

Sicily Catania to Palermo

Traveling in April, flying in and out of Palermo. It seems like bus vs train is the fastest way to get from Catania, where our trip ends, back to Palermo. Has anyone done this? Any tips/helpful hints or advice on doing this? Will be traveling to the airport on Sunday morning.
How or where do I find a bus schedule?, I have the Trenitalia app but having trouble figuring out the train schedule.

Posted by
8419 posts

We almost took the bus from the Catania Airport to Palermo, but ended up taking an (expensive but necessary) taxi so we could make our plane. It's mostly highway all the way, and we passed a couple of the buses on the way. The bus stand was at the end of the terminal, and a kiosk that sold tickets.

Be aware that if you take a bus or train, it goes to the rail terminal in central Palermo. If you want to go right to the Palermo airport, its in Punta Raisa, which is another 45-60 minutes past Palermo. So there is another cost of bus or taxi to get there.

Posted by
5579 posts

We flew in and out of Catania. I really like to sleep the night before the flight in the city I'm leaving from. Things can happen. . .

I don't have a Sicily RS guide handy, but if you look in the back of the Catania chapter, he tells you how to get to Palermo and the bus companies that go there.

Posted by
5202 posts

It’s highly recommended spending your last night in your departure city before flying home.

Anyway, you have two options to travel from Catania to Palermo:

• Take the train from Catania Centrale to Palermo Aeroporto Punta Raisi
  • This will require changing trains at Palermo Centrale Check train schedules here: Trenitalia.com

The second option is to take a bus from Catania to Palermo. You can check bus schedules here: www.saisautolinee.it/

You’ll then need to transfer to a (shuttle) bus which will take you from Palermo to the Palermo Airport. This bus runs every 30 minutes from Palermo to Airport and it takes around 50 minutes. You can buy tickets on the bus.

• Check bus schedules here: www.prestiaecomande.it/en
  • You can see the bus schedules by clicking on the menu icon, scroll down, then click on “Airport” (under “prices”)

I hope this helps!

Enjoy your time in beautiful Sicily!

Posted by
3097 posts

We are planning the same sort of trip for April.

I think my plan will be:
Interbus to Palermo from Siracusa...in your case from Catania.
It is direct and takes just over three hours.
(See my question about this from yesterday...a link is there for Interbus.

The trains seem to be few and are complicated with changes.

Some info here;
https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Palermo-Airport-PMO/Palermo-Centrale-Station

Arrive and spend one last night in Palermo, near the Centrale train station.
Day of flight home: either train or airport bus to Palermo PMO airport from Centrale train station...buses are right next door.