Please sign in to post.

Sicily base 2022

I am planning a 6 month stay in Italy in 2022 (June-November) with a potential one month stay in Sicily. Considering Catania as my "base" but thinking it may be too big of a city for me. When I search apartments, I have no idea which neighborhoods are suitable. I have spent most of my long term stays in Florence and love the walkability and transportation hub. Asking for input on Catania area as well as perhaps changing my base to Cefalu....I am 70 and travel solo and will be depending on trains/busses. Have visited Sicily previously but for very short stays. Found the train a bit frustrating at times but not brave enough to drive! Thoughts?

Posted by
7548 posts

Sorry, but obligatory, you may want to give others on here some assurance that you understand your Schengen limits and the need for a long stay visa, otherwise this turns into a "Schengen thread"

As for your question, I have no specific information on Catania, other than the airport, but it does offer location, and not being primarily a "tourist" town, maybe cheaper apartment rental, though probably grittier and more urban. Palermo would be maybe a better option, given great transport connections. In addition to train, do not overlook buses. For some of the interior, bus may be a better, faster option.

Cefalu, while a great town, will have a greater expense for lodging, and transport options are limited, requiring first a train to Messina, Palermo, or possibly Termini Imerese.

Posted by
107 posts

Thanks for the reminder...I have Italian citizenship which enables long term stays. I have run into this becoming an "issue" on past posts regarding long stays...I should have started with that fact.

Posted by
11156 posts

I would choose Palermo over Catania. Add a second base on Ortigia Island in Siracusa.

Posted by
7548 posts

I have run into this becoming an "issue" on past posts

No problem, that should satisfy the "Schengen Police"

We were just in Sicily, so I can add my impression of other cities and your plan...Most of the interior (Enna, Piazza Armerina, and Agrigento area) all offer lower housing cost, and would perfectly nice for a longer stay...except the need for a vehicle as public transport is less available, mainly limited to buses and a skeletal train system (well Enna is a reasonable train hub).

Siracusa is nice, maybe a bit pricier on Ortigia, reasonably good connections to the Southwest and interior, but being down in the corner like that, maybe further to some destinations.

Avoid Taormina unless you have very deep pockets.

Driving: It does take some courage, and comes with significant expense after insurance. Speed limits vary frequently from 30 to 110 kph on the highways, the locals mostly ignore that though, as well as any passing restrictions, easily going double all but the 90 or 110 kph limits. When you get into smaller towns, the streets simply were not designed for cars, so it makes the thrill of the highway seem tame. Edit: it also seemed like every few miles lanes were blocked due to construction...though I don't ever recall seeing anyone actually working, so that caused speed limits to plummet and traffic to congest. Despite all this, if I did a longer stay in an area, I would probably still strategically rent a vehicle for a few days at a time.

I recall seeing someone on here did do an extended stay in the Enna area, they may have some input, I will see if I can identify who that was, you could always DM them if they do not chime in.

Posted by
107 posts

thanks Paul! I do find smaller towns more engaging and walkable....which is why I was questioning Catania as my base. And yes, the small towns in all of Italy can be a challenge if not brave enough to drive. When I last went to Sicily, I was visiting the small town where my grandparents came from...it was very small...not even a pharmacy or shop in sight. Only found one teeny tiny grocer with very limited product. I had to pay my B&B host to fetch me at the train station and again to drop me back when leaving...not even a bus that I could find. It was an adventure for sure. I appreciate the suggestions...more research to be done.

Posted by
7548 posts

Another strategy to consider is a smaller town just outside Catania or Palermo, on the main rail line, giving you the small town feel and great connections with a 20 minute train ride or so. I am afraid I do not really have any firm suggestions though, just something I have done in the past.

Posted by
677 posts

I think I might want to divide my month into at least two bases, one on the east and one on the west side of the island. The problem with just one or two bases is that there are so many worthwhile sites to visit and they are spread all over the island. If you plan to travel all over the island and visit key sites then reconsider just one base. If you plan to stay relatively in one general area, enjoying the local lifestyle, then no problem. Catania and Palermo seem like the obvious bigger transportation hubs but as you said they are bigger cities and you may feel more comfortable somewhere smaller. But both have so much to offer in terms of sites, restaurants and activities and suitability for nearby daytrips.

On the east side I think I would consider Siracusa, Noto, Ragusa, or Scicli. That southeastern corner has lots of interesting destinations. On the western side, if Palermo seems too big then maybe nearby Monreale, Mondello or your choice of Cefalu would be suitable for a more leisurely stay. Some other western side suggestions are Castellamare del Golfo, Trapani, Marsala, (all have train and bus service). I think I would need to know first just where and what I want to see in Sicily before I choose my base or bases.

Posted by
15165 posts

I would split you stay in multiple locations. Palermo would be one in my book, the other would be Siracusa. Those, IMO, are the most beautiful cities of Sicily. Palermo is a big city, but some neighborhoods don’t give that feel. You might also consider staying in Mondello, a district of Palermo not exactly in the city center, which is a popular beach spot. Prices there however might be higher in summer.