Please sign in to post.

Sicily and Malta Summer 2024

Hello Everyone,
We are beginning our planning for our trip to Sicily and Malta for next summer and I wanted to present our rough draft and would appreciate input and/or suggestions:

9/17/24: We'll be flying into Rome from Lisbon and want to fly straight to Malta. We will have visited our son who lives an hour from Lisbon but will not tour Lisbon at this time. That will come later.

9/17/24-9/24/24: Malta: Valletta and visit the Three Cities. Is there another part of Malta that you highly recommend?

9/24/24: Ferry to Pozzallo and take train to Syracuse.

9/24/24-9/29/24: Visit Syracuse and Ortigia (possibly stay in Ortigia). Possible side trip to Noto.

9/29/24: Train to Catania.

9/29/24-10/4/24: Catania with possible side trips to Acrireale, Paterno and Taormina.

10/4/24: Take the 2.5 hr bus ride from Catania to Palermo.

10/4/24-10/9/24: Palermo with side trips to Monreale and Cefalu.

10/9/24: Fly to Rome (we've been to Rome 4 times so we just want to spend a few days there). We would love to fly from Palermo to LIS but it would take 6-8 hours and the prices are a lot more than from FCO to LIS. We love Rome so we decided to just make the extra trip there.

10/9/24: Fly back to Lisbon for a few days (been there before) and take flight from LIS because it's non stop to SFO and a LOT cheaper than from FCO.

Posted by
6788 posts

I just got back from 2 weeks in Malta. 🇲🇹

What are your travel interests, your likes and dislikes? (That will make a big difference in recommendations.) Why specifically are you interested in going to Malta?

You describe your trip as "next summer" - exactly when? Sicily is pretty far south, and Malta is even further south. I hope you really like the heat, you're going to get a lot of it. We were there in late September and early October and the heat was still pretty intense - I can imagine it would be absolutely brutal in August (but I'm not built for heat). Have you been to Italy before in the summer?

Posted by
709 posts

I was in Malta for three days in May. It is very beautiful. We stayed in Valletta. It looks like you have a week in Malta so you will be able to see much more than I did. Do not miss the ancient capital and walled city of Mdina. Also I thought the fishing town of Marsaxlokk was fun. There is a market right on the waterfront. We did an all day tour around the island. Price was very reasonable and it was just my son and myself in a very comfortable van. If interested send me a PM for the name of the tour and transport company. We also did a boat ride around the harbor and it was neat seeing the sites from the water. The St. John's co-cathedral in Valletta is quite ornate and impressive. Be prepared for steep hills and lots of walking!

There is so much to see and do in Sicily. I think most of us here on the forum would recommend that you do indeed stay in Ortgia when you visit Siracusa. It is an easy flat walk from the train station in Siracusa to Ortigia. The city runs a five euro for 24 hours ( at least that was the price a few years ago ) hop on hop off style little commuter bus that makes stops at key sites of interest on both the Siracusa and Ortigia sides. Also check the bus schedules for ride from Siracusa to Catania. I went by bus. Also easy to take a bus from Catania to Taormina.

Are you interested in seeing any of the gorgeous ruins in Sicily? Can you put in a one night stop in Agrigento on your way to Palermo? It would be a shame to not see them. Also i highly recommend a daytrip from Palermo to see both the ruins at Segesta and then on to mountaintop medieval Erice. Lots of local tour companies offer those type of trips ( check Tripadvisor) or I can provide you with the name of a private driver that I have used on three different occasions.

Posted by
27702 posts

There's only infrequent rail service from Pozzallo to Siracusa, with a huge gap in the middle of the day. For tomorrow I see trains at 5:33, 6:21, 8:57, 15:06, 17:20 and 20:25. I don't know how those times align with the ferry schedule, but I'd suggest researching times for buses as well, so you have a back-up plan, though buses may be even less frequent than trains. Flixbus and Azienda Siciliana Trasporti run buses, according to Rome2Rio (always an iffy source, and I haven't verified that info).

Posted by
26 posts

David: Yes, we'll be in Sicily and Malta the latter part of September and I know it will probably be in the 90's, but that's not any hotter than what we experience where we live. My mistake....we start our trip in August but don't fly to Rome to catch the flight to Malta until around the 3rd week in September. We can go to Mdina in about 25 minutes on the bus, so thank you for that suggestion. How. Just curious, was it humid when you were there in Sept-Oct?

Pat: Thank you for your suggestions...I've noted them down. We've seen SO MANY ruins in Italy, Greece, South America and Egypt that we decided to skip Agrigento. A hop on/hop off in Syracuse would be great to get the "lay of the land", thanks.

Acraven: Yes, thank you, I've already checked the ferry times in conjunction with transport from Pozzallo to Syracuse.

I've read a few "negative" comments about Palermo saying that it's kind of grundgy and gritty, but I can't imagine it's very different from Naples, which I really liked. Erice seems to be an hour and 45 mins. from Palermo and we want to visit places that are within an hour commute from where we're staying, so I put Segesta on my list to research since it's an hour away.

If you think of any other possiblities, I would appreciate it.

Posted by
6788 posts

@ pochola430 - Ah, OK about the timing.

In fact, I think you will be hitting the "sweet spot" for timing a trip to Malta. We arrived on 9/23, stayed through 10/5 and I think our timing was good: still plenty warm (sunny, hot, and humid every day) but not (quite) overwhelming and oppressive. Mid-days it got quite hot, and the heat still demanded respect (we scheduled "shade time" and siestas mid-days). We did get a couple of stray thunderstorms at night (which were dramatic and spectacular), only a little rain at night a couple brief times, some wind a couple afternoons but not enough to disrupt anything we were doing. Overall, I though the weather during our time there was pretty much perfect and exactly what I had hoped for.

We loved Malta overall, but it's not without some shortcomings. How much those bother you (or how much you actually enjoy those things) will depend on your tastes and interests. Valletta, which to me is one of the most scenic and spectacular cities in Europe, is quite touristy, with crowds of cruise-ship day-trippers dominating much of the city during mid-day. When the cruise ships pull out at the end of the day, the place becomes lovely, magical, and like no place I've been.

There is so much history visible everywhere, it's nearly overwhelming at times. The entire city and its surroundings are essentially all one continuous series of fortifications, dating back from the time of the Crusades up through WWII. If you enjoy historic places, you won't be able to take in more than a tiny fraction of what's there.

Culturally, it's a strange yet often-familiar mix. I eventually came to think of Malta like this: "Beyond Italy, beyond Sicily, not quite North Africa, and very, very Ye Olde British Empire." Lots of it is surprisingly "run-down" (beyond run-down, in fact: things that seem to have been abandoned and left to rot 100 years ago), right next door (literally) to things that have obviously been lovingly and painstakingly preserved and are now treasured. Lots of highly visible vestiges of the British Empire, layered on top of what looks/smells/tastes/sounds like Italy and North Africa - to me, Malta seemed at times "more Italian than Italy" in (mostly) good ways. As Rick Steves correctly observed long ago: Italy gets more intense (and chaotic) as you go from north to south. If you like it, keep going beyond Rome. If you like that, keep going to Sicily. If you like that, Malta is the next rock you can reach.

Spend some time in Gozo if you can - I've heard locals lament that Gozo is the last bit of country that hasn't been over-developed and over-touristed. Gozo is certainly more relaxed, less developed and less touristy (driving is much easier, too), and has lots of outstanding natural/outdoor scenery and things to do. We had 5 days there (including 2 days scuba diving) and we loved it all.

Choose your accommodations carefully. Mass-tourism (not just the daily cruise ships, but also cheap package holidays for Europeans) are very popular, and large sections of Malta are essentially expat enclaves. If you want underage drinking, discos thumping all night, etc., there's plenty of that in the more popular areas. In fact, those places are where most accommodations are found (because they're cheap, heavily marketed, and massively available). We stayed in the so-called "Three Cities" and loved it (note: they're not actual/separate cities, there are more than 3 of them, and most of them have at least 2 different names, so they can be pretty confusing and at times logistically complicated; go figure). There are relatively few options for staying in the old parts of the city, so you may have to do some work to find the right place if you want to avoid the cookie-cutter accoms.

Happy to answer questions if you have any. Cheers.

Posted by
2172 posts

Check out the costs and reviews of the ferry from Malta to Sicily. We learned it was a long trip, more expensive and less reliable (with frequent cancellations due to bad weather) than the quick cheap flight to Catania.

Posted by
362 posts

Yes, we too have been to many “ruins in Italy, Greece, South America and Egypt” but the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento at dusk was a totally awesome experience.