Please sign in to post.

Sicily

Have spent the last week and a half in Marsala/Trapani.While first impression is pretty run down and definetly trashy this is a pretty great place. I'm here for work so only a bit of our time has been spent seeing the sights but that time has been great. Palermo is a great city but the driving is pretty friggin crazy. Segesta, Castellamare Del Golfo and Corleone were all great places. Won't have time to make it to the other side of the island before we leave but definatly plan on coming back here at some point to see that half.Great food, friendly people, beautiful beaches,buttloads of history,free autostarda and generally lower cost here.Sicily is definetly a great vacation spot in my opinion.The only real complaint I would have about here is the lack of laundry facilities. A couple of drycleaners around, no coin operated laundromats and the hotels will do it but it'll cost you molto euro to do a small load. Lots of bathtub laundry goin on here.

Ron

Posted by
791 posts

Yeah, never thought I'd miss my washing machine so much!!

It's a shame that the Sicilians have the attitude they do about trash. Really detracts from the place. We were going to Corleone last weekend and drove by a rest area that had a pile of trash that was probably 15 feet high and 25 feet long.But yeah, if I had just spent a day or two here I probably would have not wanted to come back again.

Posted by
1317 posts

Thanks for the report Ron! We are planning a trip to Sicily next spring and hoping to make a loop around the island. Also thanks for the heads up about the laundry facilities (or lack thereof).

Posted by
252 posts

Funny, my first Sicily impression was also "run down and trashy". But, it definitely grew on me and eventually won me over. That's probably the reason why no one here likes Naples, they're in and out one day and never are able to capture the essence of the city.

Posted by
7737 posts

The challenge with places like Sicily and Naples is that there are so many other places in Italy that are easier to appreciate without having to look past the trash.

Posted by
247 posts

If you've ever been you would know that Sicily is beautiful and not all trash.

Posted by
791 posts

Giovanna,

You're correct in that it's beautiful....but can't see how it's insulting. It's true! There was trash everywhere I went and I covered a good portion of the western half of the island. It won't stop me from going back but I can see how a person would be put off by it and not want to spend hard earned vacation dollars to see that when, as another pointed out,there's plenty of other sights in Italy where you won't see it.
Myself, I loved Sicily and look forward to seeing the rest of it (trash and all).

Posted by
247 posts

The gently rolling hills and vineyards of Alcamo are pristine. The area around Salemi is beautiful. Walk the stunning reserve at Zingaro or visit the Greek ruins at Selinunte. There's no trash.

Posted by
791 posts

If you accuratly read the first line of my last statement you'll see I wrote "everywhere I went" and if you had read the other statements I made you would know that I was only in the western half of Sicily.Maybe the eastern half of the island is as clean as a whistle but the Sicilian guys I work with from Catania agree that Sicily has a trash problem.
I'm assuming you live in Sicily and maybe to you the amount of trash you see is ok. Fine! But the fact is is that there was trash everywhere you look(in my experience).Some places worse than others but everyplace (I went to)worse than others in Italy I've been to.And just to clarify, I'm talking about populated areas. Don't recall seeing fields or vinyards strewn with trash.
If you had further read my statements, instead of just being insulted, you would see that I really liked the place and look forward to going back.

Posted by
791 posts

Marsala, Trapani, Castellammare Del Golfo, San Vito Lo Capo,Corleone,Montelepre,Agrigento,Palermo,Paceco,Segesta and the drives in between.I think that covers a good portion for 4 days. You never stated there wasn't a trash problem? Nothing could be further from the truth,not true (x2),very inaccurate....all from your posts! True, my experience with Sicily,and Italy, is limited but you don't need much experience to see the difference between Corleone and Ravenna,Marsala and San Marino,Trapani and Cesena. Maybe you yourself need a little more experience? I'm not gonna get into a pissing match with you. How you could take my statements, or any others, as insulting or condescending is beyond me but knock yourself out?

Posted by
247 posts

There's beautiful garbage-free areas to see in Western Sicily, even the areas listed above and the area between those places.