Please sign in to post.

Sicily

We are going to Taormina from Naples for 4 nights & then to Western Sicily to Scopello for 4 nights. How is that for time schedule?

Posted by
3551 posts

I was in Sicily 2 yrs ago it was wonderful Hot yes but terrific. Taormina is good for 2 nights if u are relaxing or doing day trips out then 4/ days is good. It is a lovely area with gorgeous views and walks.
I do not know your other sight .
Sicily is off the radar but should not be and u can go off season easily with cooler temps.

Posted by
27390 posts

I think Scopello is primarily a beach town. You'll need a car if you want to go very far afield. Trapani and Erice will be accessible to the west and Palermo to the east. However, I would never, ever, want to drive in Palermo, so I urge you to figure out where you can park the car on your way into town. It will be helpful for visiting Monreale, however.

Taormina is beautiful but extremely touristy. I was ready to leave after 2 or 3 hours, but plenty of people do love it (that's why it's so crowded).

I have no interest at all in going to beaches, so my opinion is probably of no relevance here, but I cannot imagine spending 8 nights in Sicily (on what I assume is a first trip) with none of them in Siracusa or Palermo.

Posted by
7050 posts

I would not try to cover both sides of the island in only 8 days. There is a lot to see just on the eastern side without having to trek elsewhere. I too would prefer spending time in Siracusa with only a day trip to Taormina since it's so compact and overtouristed (I wouldn't know what to do there for 4 nights since I covered it in one long day trip. I think 2 full days would more than suffice).

Posted by
110 posts

Last October we spend three nights in Giardini Naxos, which is the bus stop before heading up to Taormina. We had a car and spent a day driving the north face of Etna, stopping for a fabulous lunch, and stopping for pictures in all the little towns. We spent another day taking the bus to Taormina and then from there on up to Castelmola. I agree with everyone, Taormina is very touristy and crowded and expensive and I was happy to be able to leave and go back to sleepy little Giardini Naxos.