Please sign in to post.

Sicily

I'm doing some preliminary planning for next year's trip and am considering Sicily. Though I've been to Italy several times, this would be my first to Sicily. I'll probably be going alone and would like to know if public transportation is as easy as in the rest of the country, what some favorite spots are and how long a stay would you recommend?

Posted by
2 posts

Don't know about public transportation, but we just returned from Taormina and it was a fabulous place. We stayed on the water in the Villa Sant Andrea Hotel and took the tram up to the village of Taormina daily for shopping and restaurants.. An amazing place.

Posted by
842 posts

Teena, post this same question on Trip Advisor.com, and if "Vagabonda" is still posting; she will give you some excellent answers. Sicily is fantastic; so much to see, and so much history.

1st, we need to know how long you likely will be there, and very important; what time of year. My wife and I have gone twice. We found that we needed at least one week to see half the island, and another week to sse the balance. We absolutely enjoyed staying in the Aeolian islands for three of those nites on one of our trips. There are many other places that are wondrful, also.

Sicily is awesome in spring and fall, but can be very, very warm in summer.

Transportation is not as good as the rest of Italy, but can suffice. There are many easy and lo-cost flights that you can catch between Italy and Catania, or Palermo. Each part of the island is accessable by a different mode of trans if you do not have a car. We found that a rental car was our best option, since they have some good freeways that bisect the island. We have also used the train and busses.

Pick up a Lonely Planet guidebook, read it, and use it to begin to build your itinerary, and to plan your transportation options.

Oh, and one more thing. If you rent a car, check out staying in some of the Agritourisimos. They are fun, and a great way to meet and relate with the locals.

You will love Sicily!

Posted by
252 posts

Pub trans is nowhere near as easy as the rest of Italy, but still possible. A rental car would make your trip sooooo much easier though, but not very cost efficient with one person so I understand that side of the dilemma. I was only on the Eastern side, but I read that Palermo is pretty bad as far as traffic congestion. Catania wasn't too bad even though I got caught in rush hour traffic there. Otherwise, I had no problems parking at various sites, the roads are well signed and a car gives you the option to see so much more.

Siracusa was my home base (family there) and did day trips to Taormina, Noto, Etna and a lot of little villages in between

Posted by
440 posts

Teena, public transport in Sicily is fine, in my experience. The buses give more coverage. Try and include the Eolie Islands. Where to go depends on your interests. After three trips (6 1/2 weeks all up), I still haven't visited many of the places on my mental list. I'm happy to help with ideas. Happy planning.

Posted by
274 posts

Any suggestions on favorite sand beaches, especially less-crowded ones?

Posted by
126 posts

Teena, you have picked a great destination. The island in the sun, home to unspoiled beaches, majestic mountains, and Europe's greatest natural wonder, Mount Etna. Sicily is very unique as it's Italian with French, Spanish, Greek, German, African, and Arab influences. I was in Sicily for 2 weeks last summer & traveled the island counter clock-wise from Palermo. Your interests will greatly determine where we recommend. I was fortunate to rent a car, so as Steve stated check with Vagabonda on Trip Advisor. She is a wealth of knowledge & very helpful. Should you need suggestions or assistance with hotels, b&bs, etc please feel free to ask. Happy planning!