Please sign in to post.

Sicily

I am trying to find out about getting around in Sicily without a car,I will be there for about a week. Anyone know how to do this using public transportation? Any recommendations on how many days in each city and which ones?

Posted by
25 posts

Plug in "Sicily" in Rick's "search" function and you'll find all the posts with information that might be of help to you. Ciao!

Posted by
8293 posts

roselee, I think you need a good guide book. We used the Lonely Planet Sicily book and found it excellent. Only you, after reading the guide book, can know which cities will be of interest and therefore how many days to spend in each.

Posted by
247 posts

You would only be able to see a few highlights in a week without a car. Fly into Catania and take Interbus from the airport to Taormina for two nights. You could see Mount Etna on a day trip from Taormina. Take Interbus from Taormina to Catania and Catania to Siracusa for two nights. You could take Interbus from Siracusa to Noto for a day trip. Then take Interbus from Siracusa to Palermo for three nights. There's a local bus from Palermo to Monreale and the train to Cefalù. Fly from Palermo.
http://www.interbus.it/

Posted by
931 posts

Got to agree with Norma. We found the Lonely Planet guidebook to be a valuable aide in our trips to Sicily; both for planning and logistics. Go to a bookstore, pull up a chair, and thumb thru some of the guidebooks, and pick one that will suite your needs.