Please sign in to post.

Sicily

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are planning our first trip to Italy this summer in July. We bought Rick's Italy 2010 book, and our itinerary is coming along nicely. Unfortunately, we're stumped on Sicily. Rick doesn't have one on Sicily, and the other guide books are 2 or more years old. According to Amazon and Barnes and Nobles, there aren't any new guide books for Sicily coming out soon. So...

Should I just buy the older ones and create plans from them?

Any suggestions on where we should stay?

Is it possible to pick one town and make it our home base and travel to other cities from there?

We're planning on a 5 night stay.

Thanks.

Posted by
247 posts

There are some excellent and current guidebooks on Sicily.

http://sicilyguide.com/cms/store/

Stay in Taormina or Syracuse and you could see Mount Etna, Noto, and if you’d like, you can take excursions from Taormina to the Isole Eolie or the Valley of the Temples.

Posted by
425 posts

The very highly recommend the Rough Guide of Sicily, perfect for independent travellers without a car.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm off to go read and research some more. Thanks again!

Posted by
85 posts

You may also want to try Giardini-Naxos - outside of Taormino. It's got good beaches and is just a short bus ride to Taormino and easy access to Mt Etna. I'd do 3 days there and 2 in Siracusa.

Posted by
1 posts

Rick has Sicily lodging recommendations on line - based on his TV show, "Sassy, Spicy Sicily". Recommendations include Grande Albergo Sole or Hotel Moderno in Palermo, Hotel Riva del Sole in Cefalu and Hotel Continental in Taormina...
Two different places for your 5 night stay would give you more of a feeling for the area.

Posted by
1825 posts

I was just in Sicily a month ago. I stayed at Hotel Continental and enjoyed my stay. The view from their terrace is outstanding! I can also add that of all the places I went in Sicily, Taormina was my favorite.