Please sign in to post.

sicily

Has anyone been to Sicily? I haven't heard much about it so i'm just wondering if anyone has had personal experiences there. We are planning to go to Italy next fall. I was Italy last year and went to Rome, Florence and Sorrento and loved it all! We would like to see a mix of everything when we go there-museums, architecture, wine country..

Posted by
3580 posts

I was in Sicily a few years ago, both on my own and as part of a RS tour. Our tour was late Sept, early Oct. I think it would be too hot earlier than that. Palermo was easy to get to from the airport and easy to walk around in; it is a fascinating city with a Norman castle, open-air markets, and an opera house worth visiting. My favorite city was Cefalu, for its sand beach, small-town feel, and great scenery. We had lunch in the "wine country" somewhere in the center of the island. It was beautiful, rolling country similar to the Napa Valley.

Posted by
3601 posts

We loved Sicily. In addition to what has already been mentioned, some highlights are Monreale ( the most magnificent church I've ever seen), Agrigento ( Greek ruins), Siracusa, and Taormina. We didn't get to Piazza Amerina, but it's on the list for our next visit. Great food everywhere.

Posted by
16 posts

Sicily is beautiful. I'm a little biased because I have family there, in Palermo, and have been at least 10 times. The sites already listed are nice. Also in Palermo: Mondello (the beach), Piazza della Vergogna, The markets are hilarious---Vuccaria (I might have spelled it wrong)---they really yell at you to buy there stuff.

Outside of Palermo going southwest is Castellamare (a summer resort town for Italian), Scolpello (spelling) also a beach--is where they filmed the end of Ocean's 11, and San Vito (another great Beach resort)

Erice is a lovely town atop a hill and Trapini and it's salt mines are near Erice. And Segesta, which is inland, there is an amphitheater and a temple.

I have not yet been on the east side of Sicily, going this summer, but my cousins say that Taormini and the Aeolian Islands are marvelous.

I hope you go and you love it!

Posted by
1883 posts

Did a bike ride on the western side of the island. Very friendly people, pretty scenery.

We did Palermo, Montreale, Erice, down the coast to the ruins at Segeste. Up through the middle of the island and back to Palermo.

Loved the Greek temples, the food, the people. Expect not a lot of English to be spoken outside of the larger coastal towns. That is the best part! Real people, farmers, ranchers.

Posted by
50 posts

I just want to thank everyone for their replies. It's always good to get input from people that have actually been to these places. I think i'll have to put Sicily on my list of places to go.

Posted by
93 posts

Lots of good wine in Sicily ... I found a wine there called Vino de Mandela (I think I have that right)- almond wine. It's a sweet dessert type wine that I really liked- brought a bottle back and shared it with my family who also loved it. Hopefully, we will return next year and I'll be able to go- and I plan to bring back more of that wine! I wish I could get it here. (I was told it was only available locally.)

I also really took to the local Lemoncello. I plan to try making it here at home.

The local white and red wines were better than some I've had from the states- I found them more palatable!

As far as museums- my recommendations are the ones in Siracusa (the best) and Reggio de Calabria (almost as good- it's on the mainland, but you can walk to it from the ferry.) The one at Tindaris is smaller but nice, and the connected site is good (you can easily see the aeolian islands from it). There is a small museum at Giardini Naxos that is ok- I mentioned it because I know the archaeologist who found some of the artifacts (some of which came from near our site). The area is beautiful there.

I would call Agrigento (the valley of temples) a must-see, also the sites at Piazza Armerina and Morgantina near Aidone are quite good (Morgantina is quite impressive, but not as well known).

Architecture- Siracusa, Palermo- the older sections of town are great. I really liked walking on some of the back ways in the old town at Siracusa.

Scenery- the road from Sciacca to Gela has beautiful scenery, also I enjoyed the road from Piazza Armerina to Enna. Shoot- almost every part of the Island was beautiful!

And, of course, there is Etna...

Posted by
93 posts

I might add- the people I met were quite friendly and hard working (with only one exception). Many in our area didn't speak English, although they were bilingual at least (Sicilian and Italian). They tried to communicate with us - and I think I caused many a laugh at my mangled attempts to use Italian words (they applauded me when I got it right- and some tried to help with pronunciation). Some of the people I met made it clear that they did NOT like the mafia (and that is a subject that is best not mentioned- let them bring it up if THEY wish!) The anthropologist in me was getting reams of information about how different cultures handle poverty and unemployment- the area we were in was one of the poorest on the island, yet people seemed to be making it in spite of the hardships.

General tip- try to learn and use Italian words (you'd be surprised how much you can communicate with just a few words, especially polite phrases!) Also, if you can, listen to the conversations of the locals- you can hear the different "music" in the Sicilian language as compared to the Italian.