Please sign in to post.

sicily

I'm planning a 8 or 9 day trip to Italy in early November. I've been thinking of traveling to the Amalfi Coast after 3 or 4 days in Rome but wondering if I should consider Sicily instead. I'm thinking it would be warmer which is an attraction (we like the beach, hiking, etc). Would welcome suggestions.

Posted by
212 posts

In November, it is doubtful that you will have beach weather in either location, but you never know. Both are wonderful.

Posted by
172 posts

We did Palermo – Agrigento – Syracuse - Taormina – Sorrento – Amalfi – Ravello – Positano – Naples in late October. Weather was excellent and we loved Sicily. You can see pictures and details of our trip at our blog.

http://gadtravel.blogspot.com/

Posted by
144 posts

That's a long ways to go with limited time. Do you fly out of Rome as well? We took the night train from Naples to Siracusa, Sicily once. It left at midnight and arrived at 9:15AM, I think. That's a long trip. Plus the 2 1/2 hour train trip from Rome to Naples. So knock off two entire days just for travelling to get there. The Amalfi Coast is wonderful but also a ways. Have you considered Sorrento instead? It's gorgeous and much easier to get to. Take the train to Naples & the circumvesuviana train to the end of the line, Sorrento. If you wish to visit Positano or Amalfi, take the bus from Sorrento across the penninsula for one scary ride. It's a blast. Sorrento is pleasantly warm with a nice Mediterranean climate. And the food is glorious.

Posted by
126 posts

I do not think 3 to 4 days is sufficient in Sicily. Definitely go to the Amalfi Coast as it is breath taking! I have stayed in Sorrento, Meta and Positano. Sorrento is nice, but my opinion nothing can compare to the jagged cliffs of the coast. Stay along the coast for a much more spectacular view. Rent a scooter.. drive the coastal road to medieval town of Ravello.. have dinner above the clouds over-looking the sea.. stop off along the road for a lemon ice & take in the view.. absolutely perfect! Happy travels!!!