Please sign in to post.

Sicily

We are traveling to Italy in July 2020. We will be in Lake Como but plan to spend a week at the end of our time in Sicily. We are looking for recommendations on where to stay. We will be flying into Palmero. We are thinking of going to Cefalu and Scopello. We typically have a rent car. Trying to figure out best place to stay.

Thank you.

Posted by
1018 posts

Well that’s a pretty broad question, but I would start with two nights in Cefalu and end with three nights in Palermo. Since you’ll have a car, a night or two for Agrigento or Trapani would make sense, seeing either Valley of the Temples or Segesta. I would skip Scopello, which is another beach town.

Posted by
27648 posts

A week isn't enough time even to attempt to see all of Sicily, so I think awrzesinski's suggestion is a good one. Stick fairly close to your landing spot, Palermo, rather than trying to get over to the east coast.

There's a lot to see in Palermo, so you definitely need to spend multiple nights there without a car. Driving in Palermo is to be avoided. But the car will be handy for getting to the cathedral at Monreale, just outside Palermo.

If you happen to be like me and have little interest in Greek ruins, you might include the medieval hilltop town of Erice outside Trapani. It's an extremely atmospheric place, though you should expect to have a lot of fellow visitors there.