Please sign in to post.

Shroud of Turin

Hi,
My son and I have tickets to see the Shroud of Turin. I am having difficulty finding any reviews from anyone who has been there when it was on display since it happens so infrequently. Does anyone know how long you have to wait? The tickets are timed but I read somewhere it would still be a three hour wait. That is the only information I can find about it in English. I want to make sure we arrive early enough!
We are going directly from the Milan airport to Turin. We arrive on the same day that we have tickets to see the Shroud. So getting to Turin efficiently is my number one priority even if it costs a little more. I have read there is a bus option that takes two hours and then also a train back to Milan and then to Turin. I also wanted to explore using a car and driver. I read that it might be difficult to find the bus and that we would have to change train stations if we took the train. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Ginger

Posted by
78 posts

I was there during the exibition of 1997. As far as I remember the line was quite long; it streched well outside the Duomo, so be prepared to wait for at least 1 hour. Once inside, you can't gaze at the shroud as much as you want; there is a conveyor belt moving people in front of it, just to avoid too much crowding. You wait in line, hop on it, pass at slow speed in front of the shrowd, hop off, get out of the church.

Posted by
78 posts

Renting a car (a small one) is not a bad idea. From Malpensa Airport to Turin is all motorway, pretty much flat and straight. Once in Turin, a straight boulevard leads you directly to the city center.

Posted by
11613 posts

Rome2Ricom shows three buses per day from Milano Malpensa to Torino, no changes. Trip takes about 1 hour 40 minutes. Train takes well over two hours and requires several changes. Check the R2R website for links to schedules.

Posted by
290 posts

I think your best option is to get on the bus that goes directly from the Malpensa Airport to Turin. It will leave you on the Turin train station, and from there is about 10 minutes by bus to the Duomo, where the shroud is.

It is your best choice, because if you would take the train, you would have to go first from Malpensa to Milan Train station (40 min - 1 hour), and take the train from there (1 hour with fast train, 2 with the regional train), assuming it leaves as soon as you arrive to the train station. Instead with the bus you get on the airport and get off in Turin, is way easier.

I'm not sure about the driver, but it would cost you around 200 Euros, and it would take about the same time as the bus...

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Ginger,
I have flown into Milan and taken the bus to Turin several times. The bus circles the arrival gates and there are signs at the bus stops. It is really very efficient. In Turin the bus stop is at the train station Porta Suza. From there cross the busy street and find Via Garibaldi, there are several streets, but Garibaldi is a straight walk to the Cathedral, There are cafes, and ice cream shops along the way. When the crowds are large the line to view the Shroud goes through the Royal Gardens to the Cathedral, that may take a good hour. Your ticket is good for any time even though there is a time span on the ticket. You can enter the Cathedral at any time for prayer and meditation. It is usually very crowded, but you do get a good view of the Shroud from the pews.

Please do not miss the Museum of the Shroud, it is on Via San Domenico, 28, which runs parallel to Garibaldi. It is well worth the time. There is also the Royal Palace next to the Cathedral, and the Egyptian Museum a short walk away. Palazzo Madama, next to the Cathedral is worth seeing. The main shopping area is Via Roma, just cross the Madama Plaza. It is a pleasant walk and ends at the main railroad station. There are many cafes and restaurants along the way. I believe the subway connects to Suza Station.
Turin is a wonderful walking city, wear comfortable shoes and enjoy the friendly, helpful local people, and the good food.
Enjoy,
Richard

Posted by
10344 posts

How many minutes or seconds do you actually get in front of the Shroud? On the conveyor belt?

Posted by
27 posts

Thank you so much for all of the replies. Your information has been very helpful!!

Posted by
78 posts

Not much time to spend in front of the shroud, as far as I remember, to avoid humane traffic jams.